Prickly Pear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spittybug

Reaction score
Unfortunately we had a biblical sized hail storm here in Texas Hill Country back in early June that decimated the very promising crop of prickly pear fruits. The same storm that took out the cactus did $10K worth of damage to my 5th wheel RV, $2K to my BMW and will require a new roof on my house that was only just delivered to me late June (yes, the contractor is on the hook, not me...). It hailed up to nearly golf ball sized hail for the better part of 30 minutes. Unbelievable, truly white out conditions.

Anyway, I foraged some fruit from neighbor's cacti this afternoon. Not much, but I puree'd the living crap out of them and added a bit of water to get maybe 2-3 pints worth of very attractive purple slurry. Doesn't smell too good I must admit. It has a kind of earthy raspberry taste; fairly sweet. I had intended to put it in a Saison for the color and maybe a hint of the taste, but I already have a Saison on tap.

Has anyone done anything with these that has come out well?

BTW, We have eaten the cactus pads - young tender ones, julienned and fried in oil or bacon fat & salted, and they are delicious as little bar snacks... A bit of work to de-thorn them, but a nice treat, especially when you consider they came off your property!

I don't "puree the crap out of them". There are seeds inside. I'm a little concerned about the seeds and associated tannins and such.

I flame (to remove glochids), chop, freeze and then press with a fruit press. Overall I get a subtle "berry" and "melon" from them. Makes a great mead. Made a real good imperial saison with them. One of those "time travel beers"........you start to drink one and you find yourself somewhere else later in time.
homebrudoc

Back