Prickly Pear Mead Pics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bite sized morsels, kittens love!:ban:

And Brandon I didn't know you looked like that. I thought your avatar was it, so now once again my perception of a HBT member has changed. :D

That is my buddy Will, he's the death rocker singer in a band type. My avatar is me.

I was taking the picture.

I also live in phoenix and i am strongly considering starting a prickly pear mead. i just cant decide on 1 or 5 gal. i may do 1gal and 1 gal of saguaro mead. has anyone ever tried that?
j

Well, It's been a long time since I bottled the prickly pear mead and I am going to pull a bottle tonight and I'll post some tasting notes after I drink it.

Howdy folks! Been reading this thread with interest. I bottled 5-6 gallons of prickly pear mead a few years back, and my experience was quite similar to Brandon's. The must started out a brilliant maroon, and as it aged in the bottles, faded to a clear pink. The final product, once aged for a year, was sweet but not cloying. The prickly pear fruit had a mild, almost melon-like flavor.

1254735808_0b4e011d29.jpg

All of it is long gone. It was one of the few meads I've made that was an unqualified success among wine drinkers I know. I wanted to start up another batch last year, but we were in the middle of a drought and not even the cactus were producing fruit! I've kept an eye out this year, and with out abundant spring and summer rains in Texas, it looks to be a bumper crop. :)

I am actually going to be out picking tunas this weekend to begin my first mead. I love the pics, the mead looks amazing!

Back