Price of gas - CO2 that is...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewstergalVT

Reaction score
I'm just wondering what folks around the country are currently paying for a 10# bottle of CO2? The price at our local place is now $20 for a 10# tank. If you don't mind posting, it would be interesting to know what folks are paying.

I know it's likely the least expensive thing I have be concerned with in my hobby and I know hobbies are supposed to cost money because if they made you money they'd be a business...but still I'm curious to find out what part of the country you live in and what you're paying for CO2.

I don't know what it is for 10# but I fill my 5# for $16. I filled it at the Koorsen Fire Extinguisher. They sell gas to all the pepsi drink machines in Lexington, KY.

I don't know what it is for 10# but I fill my 5# for $16. I filled it at the Koorsen Fire Extinguisher. They sell gas to all the pepsi drink machines in Lexington, KY.

Same here in SC...$16 plus tax for a 5# fill. A 20# fill is $26 plus tax. I fill mine at a Fire Extinguisher Safety Company, but AmeriGas is way higher.

Where I go, it is $20 for a 10# fill and $12 for a 5# fill. They also do 20# fills for $25.

I've tried 2 different welding shops and both were $20 for 5lbs, taxes and fees included. I must have emailed 10 different gas suppliers in the area and those were the only ones that replied back.

Holy Cow!
Western NY here, $5 for a 5lb tank at a townie welding place.
They are home brew friendly because they knew why i was asking over the phone about filling a 5lb co2 tank.
i go in on a sat and i'm out in 15 mins. or less.

I do know the big distributor in the city of Buffalo does charge more.
I think it was $15.

In NE Florida, it is roughly $18 for a 5# tank switch-out. Which seems a bit steep when compared with other regions...but oh well!!!

:mug:

Here in central Iowa it's about $17-20 for a 5lb tank exchange at a homebrew shop. I haven't investigated fills from other sources though.

My welding supply shop likes homebrew and cash. My 7 lb tank fills varies, but is usually less than $10.

I pay $20 to exchange 50# tank. It has a siphon tube and I use it to refill my small tanks.

$8 for 5# and $17 for 20# swaps or refills but I have to drive 30 minutes each way to a sister city.

The local Airgas place, 10 minutes away, is an extortionist who charge more than twice those prices.

Just under $20 here for a 5 pounder. They say they'll fill a 20 pounder for a couple bucks more. Need to up my tankage!

Sugar + yeast = CO2 plus free alcohol.

If only people here had some sterile equipment suitable for fermenting yeast and sugar.... :)

If only people here had some sterile equipment suitable for fermenting yeast and sugar.... :)

Ha ha! Yes, I do some spunding but still need CO2. My simple brew system uses CO2 to push my sparge water. Besides, like I said, it's a hobby and it's supposed to cost money. :)

Get into cask conditioning and there's all sorts of toys to buy - lovely shiny casks, handpulls to spend hours polishing, a nice mallet for tapping.....

This got me thinking about a CodysLab I saw on YouTube a while back. He was splitting water into Oxygen and Hydrogen and compressing that into tanks that he used to weld with. The whole thing was built with scrap parts and running off solar panels. It would be pretty sweet to fill my tank from my fermentor and never buy CO2 again...

I've tried 2 different welding shops and both were $20 for 5lbs, taxes and fees included. I must have emailed 10 different gas suppliers in the area and those were the only ones that replied back.

I went to the Airgas distributor(not retail) in Fresno and they filled my 5lb for $13. Every other place I called in both Fresno and Visalia only did trade ins [emoji20]

I go to a fire extinguisher shop and pay $10. My LHBS does fills a little cheaper but They don't usually get a good fill.

I was paying $18 for an exchange until one day when they ran out and were going to be out for a while. The guy behind the counter (and good for him, btw) suggested I go to a particular liquor store. The store fills 5 lb. tanks for less than $7. Guess I'm gonna go there until the exchange tank is out of certification then exchange it at the old place.

Cask Ale has its place... and is okay once in awhile... but a steady diet of it? Mostly flat beer is blah

Not to derail this thread but drinking almost flat beer is like looking into the soul of a beer. Not always good but it gives you a clear view.

Back