Presurizing kegs in cold storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zenmeister

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just got a half barrel Unitank, and will be burst carbonating to 10-12 PSI in that, then pressure transferring beer into 5-gal Corny’s. I will be using a 7 cf chest freezer to keep the beer refrigerated until needed. I expect the kegs to stay stored for 15-30 days. The freezer will only store the kegs, and will not at this time dispense the beer or act as a keezer. My question is, will I need to maintain pressure with additional CO2 in the freezer to keep the pressure in the Kegs, or once kegged to proper volumes (in the Unitank) will that be enough?

If your kegs don't have any leaks than there's no reason to add CO2 while they are in storage.

I just got a half barrel Unitank, and will be burst carbonating to 10-12 PSI in that, then pressure transferring beer into 5-gal Corny’s. I will be using a 7 cf chest freezer to keep the beer refrigerated until needed. I expect the kegs to stay stored for 15-30 days. The freezer will only store the kegs, and will not at this time dispense the beer or act as a keezer. My question is, will I need to maintain pressure with additional CO2 in the freezer to keep the pressure in the Kegs, or once kegged to proper volumes (in the Unitank) will that be enough?
You shouldn't require any additional co2 as long as you have *zero* leaks in your kegs. I always carbonate in the fermentor and often then store my kegs for as long as a month at room temperature. Once I cool them and tap they are always at the correct carbonation level.

When you carbonate to 10-12psi in the unitank, what temperature will the beer be at?
If it's already chilled, no need to add more CO2 (as already said above).
If it's warm (ferment temps) you'll need to add more CO2 as it chills to get it back to 10-12psi - the pressure will drop as it cools.

When you carbonate to 10-12psi in the unitank, what temperature will the beer be at?
If it's already chilled, no need to add more CO2 (as already said above).
If it's warm (ferment temps) you'll need to add more CO2 as it chills to get it back to 10-12psi - the pressure will drop as it cools.
Good point I should have added that I carbonate in my fermentor at 32f. After transferring I then often allow the kegs to sit at room temperature. Cheers

Back