Pressurized Corny Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matlockin86

Reaction score
Thoughts? After lots of reading for two days I've decided to make the switch to corny fermentation on my next batch. Still debating whether to pressurize or not. Has anyone tried this?

I've been pressure fermenting in 1/4 barrel sanke kegs for about 6 months now and wouldn't go back. Fermentation is done in about a week and the following week carbs and drops yeast. At the end of the second week it gets moved to corney and is quite drinkable. An additional week improves them nicely.

:mug:

-Brian

I'm a fan (even wrote a thread on it, see link below).

If i had to do it all over again the only thing i'd change would be to use sanke style kegs instead of cornys, but they are a very inexpensive way to try it out for yourself.

I'm a fan (even wrote a thread on it, see link below).

If i had to do it all over again the only thing i'd change would be to use sanke style kegs instead of cornys, but they are a very inexpensive way to try it out for yourself.

Do you have a headspace issue with using 5 gal cornys? Seems like 5 gal of wort in 5 gal corny is counter-intuitive.

Do you have a headspace issue with using 5 gal cornys? Seems like 5 gal of wort in 5 gal corny is counter-intuitive.

The short answer is that you need to stop thinking about home brewing in 5G increments. You want to target about 4.5G in the keg to start. For cold fermenter lagers i've had luck getting a full 5G since i only had 1cm kraussen.

For me the volume change is not a big deal since i make about 16.5G of wort and fill 3 kegs. But as a 5G brewer you'd have to sacrifice a little volume to make it work. That's one of the downsides.

Also when you do a pressurize fermentation it actually collapses the kraussen, which lets you fit more in the keg. I've been able to fill to the top weld and have 0 blow off.

Yeh I agree. The single downside does not outweigh the reward. What psi do you ferment at? I was seeing 5-6 psi range.

The minimum i use is 3.5 psi. That's about enough to set the lid o-ring and not much more. It does collapse the kraussen a little but ales will still get large.

I've gone as high as 10 psi in my most recent pale ale (just kegged on Tuesday). It fermented very slow (9 days) but the kraussen was fully controlled. I could have done a full 5G in that keg had i known it was only going to be 1".

I've seen references going up to 25 psi, although that seems a bit high to me. I'm still experimenting myself. I don't know where the optimal pressure is, but i do know that it produces good results over a wide range, and is a great component of a low oxygen brewing system.

The minimum i use is 3.5 psi. That's about enough to set the lid o-ring and not much more. It does collapse the kraussen a little but ales will still get large.

I've gone as high as 10 psi in my most recent pale ale (just kegged on Tuesday). It fermented very slow (9 days) but the kraussen was fully controlled. I could have done a full 5G in that keg had i known it was only going to be 1".

I've seen references going up to 25 psi, although that seems a bit high to me. I'm still experimenting myself. I don't know where the optimal pressure is, but i do know that it produces good results over a wide range, and is a great component of a low oxygen brewing system.

My last batch i got up to 27psi as I forgot to adjust my spunding valve and had no ill-effects. However, i would not harvest the yeast from fermenting at this high pressure.

Latest posts

Back