Pressure fermenting Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad2027

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Need a little advise, plan on doing an Ale today, using US05.

First time using the new pressure fermenter (Apollo stub nose 30L), my main question is after yeast starter is pitched should i leave pressure relief valve open for the first 24hrs or so to allow for start of fermentation before setting spundy to 10psi?
Or 10PSI from yeast pitch?

Cheers

10PSI at pitch or after isn’t going to really do anything at 68F or so, except probably slow the fermentation down.

If you want to get fresh info on pressure fermenting check out Dr. Hans on YouTube. Tons of stuff. There’s also a guy named Lucas Steyn that uses a similar process.

US-05 more like start at 20PSI and 77F then ramp slowly up to 82F or so after high krausen. Calculate and adjust pressure needed to achieve the carbonation level at finishing temp.

https://drhansbrewery.com/beercarbonationcalculator/

Last edited:
Wait 24 hours.
Curious why you say this? I ferment under pressure in a corny. I give it enough pressure to seal the lid to start with and set my spunding valve to ~15psi and let it go from there. My beer seems to come out at least as good as before I started fermenting under pressure and I don't have to worry about blow off. Am I missing something?

I'm not claiming to know THE right answer.

But the 3 reasons I said to wait 24 hours are (1) the belief that initial yeast growth is faster and healthier without the added pressure, (2) the belief that there are other gasses predominantly in the first 24 hours (beyond CO2) that may be better to let off before adding pressure, and (3) there is seemingly no downside to waiting 24 hours (but if spunding immediately allows you to skip the blow-off tube, that would be a benefit).

Again, I don't know if any of those things are accurate. They're just things I have read on these boards, and in my set-up, there is no downside to just waiting 24 hours before starting the pressure.

I'm not claiming to know THE right answer.

But the 3 reasons I said to wait 24 hours are (1) the belief that initial yeast growth is faster and healthier without the added pressure, (2) the belief that there are other gasses predominantly in the first 24 hours (beyond CO2) that may be better to let off before adding pressure, and (3) there is seemingly no downside to waiting 24 hours (but if spunding immediately allows you to skip the blow-off tube, that would be a benefit).

Again, I don't know if any of those things are accurate. They're just things I have read on these boards, and in my set-up, there is no downside to just waiting 24 hours before starting the pressure.
Thanks for the reply. I'm a little lazy, so if I can do less work and get the same results I'm all over it. It sounds like this would be a good candidate for an exBEERiment!

Back