Pressure ferment w/ Fermentasuarus what pressure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwill911

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
First time fermenting under pressure. I've got it dialed to ~10#. An Imperial Stout in fermenter and fermenting actively. What pressure should I maintain. I'm not aiming to carbonate just ferment. Very much a noob at this phase of brewery.
Thanks,
John

So I've been pressure fermenting for a year or two now. I usually only ferment lagers under pressure at 15 psi room temp. I usually do ales not under pressure untill the fermentation ramps down, then I spund to naturally carbonate. The pressure you want at the end depends on temp and carb level needed.

If you want to pressure ferment ales I think you would want to it at elevated temp. Faster ferment with less off flavor and ester production. I think if you ferment ale at room temp under 10 or 15 psi then the ester profile will be more neutral than desired.

My first pressure lager was at 12 at a temp of 77 with diamond yeast. Came out with a apple flavor from the esters lol. Next time ill just keep it at 65, the first time i let it run free.

I've only tried it once with an ale yeast. It was so boring and one dimensional. I'd just use a spunding to naturally carbonate towards the end of fermentation. Works fine with lager yeast, though.

Latest posts

Back