pressing young apples for tartness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unferth

Reaction score
I'll start by saying I've never pressed apples for cider before. Only bought pre-pressed juice.

I really like a tart flavor in my cider--hard to get from juice--and I was thinking about robbing a tree of some younger apples to add some pucker to my cider? I was thinking of mixing them with ripe apples or juice to taste.

When I say young, I mean green and starting to turn colors, but not ripe yet. Some have fallen off the tree, but the majority are pretty firm and slightly astringent.

Aside from lower sugar content, is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

I have never heard of this working, I don't think it is a good idea. If you want tart cider add campden tablets as soon as fermentation is finished, to prevent an MLF. In vancouver the acidity levels on even the ripest apples should be quite high. Unripe apples may have more acidity but will lack flavor and body. Use more cooker type apples if you want a high acid cider.
However you could try this and report back. maybe you could make a cider more suited to your taste. remember unripe apples will be low in sugar, so alcohol levels will be low. You can add sugar to boost the alcohol, but that won't help the flavor. Be sure to measure sugar and acidity before you pitch the yeast.

I'll start by saying I've never pressed apples for cider before. Only bought pre-pressed juice.

I really like a tart flavor in my cider--hard to get from juice--and I was thinking about robbing a tree of some younger apples to add some pucker to my cider? I was thinking of mixing them with ripe apples or juice to taste.

When I say young, I mean green and starting to turn colors, but not ripe yet. Some have fallen off the tree, but the majority are pretty firm and slightly astringent.

Aside from lower sugar content, is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

No reason it wouldn't work, though there are other ways to get the results you're looking for. You could press some crab apples & add their juice. You could also just add malic acid and/or tartaric acid. I'f you're pressing apples, you might press a few granny smith's or macs for a little added tartness.
Regards, GF.

Unripe apples will be starchy and make the juice hard to clear. Using tart apples would be better. I'm not sure about Vancouver, but in Virginia, Granny Smith doesnt usually ripen until much later. Jonathans are ripening now and they are a good tart apple. Crabs are usually good.

Latest posts

Back