Preparation for my Norther Brewer hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelsBrewing

Reaction score
All,

Last year was my first stint in growing hops. I chose to grow Northern Brewer with not much yield as they were first year hops. I had these growing in large pots outside and therefore they obviously did not reach their full potential but they didn’t do bad either; it would have been nice to have wine barrels but I digress. After what little harvest I had, I cut them off at the base of the dirt and stuck them in the outside garage to go dormant. My question is; has anyone ever done the same thing? I plan to plant these along with my newly ordered Cascade, Nugget, and Centennials in the spring directly into the ground with a 15 ft. trelis. I live in N. Ohio and it is still quite cold outside but is there anything I should be doing to get these NBs ready for spring now?

Any experience or advice is appreciated.

Cheers! :mug:

you can lay down a layer of peat moss and fertilizer. if they're in pots you can also thin out the root ball by cutting out some rhizomes that'll give the plant a little more room and also you can plant the rhizomes elsewhere. I wouldn't start hacking any rhizomes off until mid march or until we know the ground is pretty well thawed.

I used to live down the road in Willowick

jester5120 said:
you can lay down a layer of peat moss and fertilizer. if they're in pots you can also thin out the root ball by cutting out some rhizomes that'll give the plant a little more room and also you can plant the rhizomes elsewhere. I wouldn't start hacking any rhizomes off until mid march or until we know the ground is pretty well thawed.

I used to live down the road in Willowick

Thanks for the info.

They are in pots now and I plan to plant them in the spring along with the other three. I guess I am worried that they sit in my building in the pots dead and not dormant.

I probably just need to plant them and see.

Back