Pre Presurizing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamLucko

Reaction score
is it possible to carbonate a corny keg and then set it aside until I am done the beer I have tapped now?:ban::rockin:

Yeah. You'll have to chill it if you want to carb it at your current serving pressure though. Or you could prime the keg like Jon said. If you prime it, use about half the amount of sugar you would for bottling. If you have a dual pressure regulator you could do it without chilling the beer. Just follow a carb chart. I usually just purge my kegs, hit them with 30 psi and store them. When a keg kicks, I pop in a new one and carb it up.

You can carbonate at pretty much any temperature, just need to set the proper gas pressure. Volumes of CO2 doesn't change just because you chill a carbed keg...

Cheers!

i used to do this with a 2nd co2 tank i had. i'd set it at about 30 psi at room temp (64-69) for a couple weeks and when it was time to go on tap, it was fully carbed. Obviously check the dissolved CO2 vs temperature chart to make sure you're not over carbing.

Sounds like the question has been pretty well answered. I'd have nothing to add.

Not to throw the thread offtrack but does anybody know if force carbonating a keg at room temp, which needs a higher pressure for the CO2 to dissolve, I get that - uses more CO2? I think I've read it's the same amount of usage when carbonating at a low temperature, but that doesn't make sense. Anybody know?

Sounds like the question has been pretty well answered. I'd have nothing to add.

Not to throw the thread offtrack but does anybody know if force carbonating a keg at room temp, which needs a higher pressure for the CO2 to dissolve, I get that - uses more CO2? I think I've read it's the same amount of usage when carbonating at a low temperature, but that doesn't make sense. Anybody know?

It's the same amount of CO2. You have to bump up the pressure to force the CO2 into the beer at warmer temperatures. You're not dissolving any more CO2 than you normally would, you just have to push harder to get it in there.

Thanks BBL, and hey by the way great to see ya!

I asked that question because I no longer have a kegerator but still have enough equipment to keg and force carb beer. In my near future I see myself making beer and using kegs, just not having beer chilled and readily available on tap.

It will be more for an occasional family get together, picnic or something where I'll chill down a carbonated keg. Hit it with serving pressure and hopefully the keg will be gone by the end of the day - or not. I guess as long as CO2 and not O2 is used, like a party keg air pump, the beer will last a long time no matter the temp.

I was just wondering if I was going to go through a lot of CO2 trying to carb at room temps.

Thanks BBL.. hmm I think I might put your poem I love so well back up as a my sig. Just kidding. :) But it was great! :mug:

Back