Pre made wort for starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitHole

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok so I hate the time it takes to make a starter. Have to measure out dme try to boil it with out it going full volcano on me. Listening to the wife cry about the smell. Andddddd I always decide to brew at the last minute!!!

soo I have three tubs of lme laying around that I was thinking I could I could boil up in a large batch. Then fill large mason jars and cap them off like typical while they are still boiling hot. And I would have vacuum sealed wort. I could then just dump them in my flask and be on my way!!!

i assume Someone else ha though of this.

You need to use a pressure canner to safely store premade wort in jars. The canner needs to get the temp up to 250F.

I have seen several threads here on HBT which talk about the procedure.

I can wort, takes some time up front but sure nice to just dump a jar into the beaker.

Canning wort is definitely a thing.

To be done safely it needs to be done in a pressure cooker. Bacterial spores (namely C. botulinum of particular note) can survive wort boil, and potentially allow botulinum toxin to form in your canned starters. Wort does not fall into the low-pH/high acid category where simple boiling is safe. Pressure canning them (I don't know the exact temp/pressure/time combo off hand but there are other threads that have it) will kill spores and render your starter wort sterile and actually safe.

I am not aware of anyone actually getting botulism poisoning from canned wort that wasn't pressure canned and people definitely do it that way. But whether a potentially lethal contamination risk is worth it or not is up to you.

Canning wort is definitely a thing.

To be done safely it needs to be done in a pressure cooker. Bacterial spores (namely C. botulinum of particular note) can survive wort boil, and potentially allow botulinum toxin to form in your canned starters. Wort does not fall into the low-pH/high acid category where simple boiling is safe. Pressure canning them (I don't know the exact temp/pressure/time combo off hand but there are other threads that have it) will kill spores and render your starter wort sterile and actually safe.

I am not aware of anyone actually getting botulism poisoning from canned wort that wasn't pressure canned and people definitely do it that way. But whether a potentially lethal contamination risk is worth it or not is up to you.
Ok u scared me enough, lol. Soooo I’ve never used a pressure cooker. Do I boil it and jar it. Then pressure cook it in the jar???

Ok u scared me enough, lol. Soooo I’ve never used a pressure cooker. Do I boil it and jar it. Then pressure cook it in the jar???
A standard pressure cooker won't reach temperatures high enough to safely can wort.

Ok so I hate the time it takes to make a starter. Have to measure out dme try to boil it with out it going full volcano on me. Listening to the wife cry about the smell. Andddddd I always decide to brew at the last minute!!!

soo I have three tubs of lme laying around that I was thinking I could I could boil up in a large batch. Then fill large mason jars and cap them off like typical while they are still boiling hot. And I would have vacuum sealed wort. I could then just dump them in my flask and be on my way!!!

i assume Someone else ha though of this.

I was like you, I hated making starters until I found “Propper Starter” from morebeer.com. I was very skeptical to use it at first but I wanted to give it a shot and now that’s all I use. It’s the easiest starter I have ever made. Simply sanitize everything of course, pour in the contents of the can into your flask, pour in 16oz of water (I use distilled) and that’s it, no boiling, cooling etc! I have done both - poured in the whole thing to my wort (5 gal) and decanted. I did not notice any difference so that is just personal preference. I usually keep one or two yeasts on hand so I can make a starter 2-3 days prior to brewing in case I want to decant but it’s definitely not necessary with a 5 gal batch. Here’s a link in case you’re inclined to try it: Propper Starter™ Canned Wort | MoreBeer

I dont preboil my wort, just get warm enough to dissolve the DME then add more water to get the correct gravity. I think having it close to boiling is not a bad idea, it would speed up getting the canner to boiling.

This is an article you can look at
Wort Canning To Save Time

I've been considering this method for my next batch of canned starters since it bypasses the need to make the starter wort in a separate boil pot and pack it while hot into individual jars before placing the jar in the pressure canner. There are some people who pre-measure the DME into individual jars first, then add hot water to the jar, place the lid and band, and then go right into the pressure canner. The DME will liquefy and mix due to convection in the jar (allegedly). Never tried it this way and was wondering if anyone else can offer a comparative analysis. Sure would save some effort if it actually works.

I have thought about adding the DME dry to the jars but never tried that. I build up from slants so I do 4 sizes of jars, having it premixed is easy and less measuring. Glad to hear others have done that and it seems to work, might be good for a quick single group of quarts.

One advantage of boiling first is you can get a little less break in the jars if you allow to cool then let it settle but that takes times.

I have thought about adding the DME dry to the jars but never tried that. I build up from slants so I do 4 sizes of jars, having it premixed is easy and less measuring. Glad to hear others have done that and it seems to work, might be good for a quick single group of quarts.

One advantage of boiling first is you can get a little less break in the jars if you allow to cool then let it settle but that takes times.

Definitely less break, but I still get quite a bit of break in the jars even when I mix and boil in a 3 gallon boil pot. That said, the residual gunk actually becomes food for the yeast you're trying to propagate. I try to decant the majority of the settled gunk when I add the starter to the yeast, but I don't obsess over it since I figure it'll give the yeasties something to snack on after they wake up.

I've found that mixing DME and room temp water in my bottling bucket works well. I then fill all my jars from the valve on the bottling bucket. No funnels, no mess to fill all those jars, and no chance of burning yourself. I make 6 gallons of starter wort at a time so I have limited options with vessels large enough to mix it up in one batch. I will dissolve the DME in about half the volume of water initially so I can stir vigorously without spilling any over the sides of the bucket.

I've found that mixing DME and room temp water in my bottling bucket works well. I then fill all my jars from the valve on the bottling bucket. No funnels, no mess to fill all those jars, and no chance of burning yourself. I make 6 gallons of starter wort at a time so I have limited options with vessels large enough to mix it up in one batch. I will dissolve the DME in about half the volume of water initially so I can stir vigorously without spilling any over the sides of the bucket.

So you then pressure can after filling the jars?

Brooo Brother

I do "no-chill" brewing. Just before sealing my hot wort in a food-grade, airtight container to let it cool overnight, I tap off enough wort for a "natural wort" starter. No DME cost, no DME smell. I just chill down that pint-quart amount in the sink with ice cubes to a safe yeast temp, then put it on my stir plate. While the starter develops, the wort is cooling, and1-2 days later I'm ready to pitch the yeast and wort into my fermenter. Also has (for me) the additional bonus of shortening the brew-day a little with no time needed for chilling and cleaning up related chilling equipment. Once I discovered "no-chill" (big in Australia due to water shortages) and using 'natural wort", I've never looked back.

I add dme to the jar, yeast nutrient, and water and put the lid and ring on. Into the pressure cooker and let it go for 15 minutes. Works great.
That's the process I was thinking about. Do you fill with distilled or regular tap water? Do you fill up to the fill line on the jars? Hot/boiling water or just room temperature?

Lots of questions, but this is what seemed like "streamlined with no downside". One concern I have is putting the aluminum pressure canner on my banjo burner (110,000 BTU @ full power). Instructions for the canner say not to use on an open flame burner with an output greater than 25,000~30,000 BTU, and aluminum doesn't conduct on an induction range.

Brooo Brother

I have a small 2 burner coleman camp stove I use for the canner. The pots hangs over the edge a little but plenty enough heat from one burner, normally almost off by the end of the process time.

I use cold tap water and fill to almost 1" from the top. I make a lot at a time, so once every 3 months or so. I use a stove burner. If you use a big one just turn it down. You only need it hot enough for just a little steam to come out.

That's the process I was thinking about. Do you fill with distilled or regular tap water? Do you fill up to the fill line on the jars? Hot/boiling water or just room temperature?

Lots of questions, but this is what seemed like "streamlined with no downside". One concern I have is putting the aluminum pressure canner on my banjo burner (110,000 BTU @ full power). Instructions for the canner say not to use on an open flame burner with an output greater than 25,000~30,000 BTU, and aluminum doesn't conduct on an induction range.

Brooo Brother

I have a small 2 burner coleman camp stove I use for the canner. The pots hangs over the edge a little but plenty enough heat from one burner, normally almost off by the end of the process time.

How big is your pressure canner? I've got a really old Coleman camping stove that used white gas (Coleman fuel) rather than the disposable propane bottles you see today. My aluminum pressure canner holds 7 quart jars and I don't think it would fit on the old camp stove. It would be a good possible solution if it did, and if I could find fuel for it.

Brooo Brother

i am having a tough time of why can wort ahead of time. I will take the last runnings of a batch which is around 1.02 and put it in a 2liter bottle and freeze and add the dme when time comes to make a starter boil it then. maybe i am over thinking it. but seems like a lot of added wasted time imo.

How big is your pressure canner? I've got a really old Coleman camping stove that used white gas (Coleman fuel) rather than the disposable propane bottles you see today. My aluminum pressure canner holds 7 quart jars and I don't think it would fit on the old camp stove. It would be a good possible solution if it did, and if I could find fuel for it.

Brooo Brother
My pressure canner is a presto 23 quart. It hold 7 quarts, about 20 pints in two layers and 24 half pints in two layer.

my camp stove looks like this one. I fold the back down to get the canner to fit.
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000...ab156&pd_rd_wg=SpNPZ&pd_rd_i=B00005OU9D&psc=1

i am having a tough time of why can wort ahead of time. I will take the last runnings of a batch which is around 1.02 and put it in a 2liter bottle and freeze and add the dme when time comes to make a starter boil it then. maybe i am over thinking it. but seems like a lot of added wasted time imo.

It's shifting the prep time from when you are making your starter to all at once at an earlier time point.

When you make a starter you're thawing your wort, adding dme, boiling it, and letting it cool.
When I make a starter I've got that done ahead of time, so it is only dumping the wort and yeast.
Depending on your schedule and how busy you are it may or may not be worth it for you.

I dont recall how long it takes, I am usually doing stuff like washing the next batch of jars. I used to do it inside on an electric stove and don't think there is much difference in time.

Latest posts

Back