pre-chill filtering ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kb2kir

Reaction score
Hi, Folks....
I read in Papazian's or Palmer's book (I forget which), that for best results, one should remove the hot break and any hop residue (I use pellets, so there is a lot) from the hot wort before running it thru your chiller.
Can anyone toss an idea my way ??
Thanks growlers full,
Joe

I found a picture on here somewhere of a hop bag that someone made for the brew kettle. It's a short piece of 2-3" PVC pipe. Near one end, drill 4 holes equally around the circumference and attach 4 lengths of stainless threaded rod. You now have 4 arms that hold the pipe vertically above the brew. Next attach a long nylon hop bag to the pipe, underneath the rods (attach with a hose clamp). The bag hangs in the wort during the boil and contains most of the hop trub. I have much less trub since doing this.

As to removing break material before chilling, I think that would depend on the type of chiller. I don't see why it would matter for an immersion chiller, it may be more of an issue for a counterflow chiller. I did my last 3 brews with a plate chiller and ran everything through it right at the end of the boil. In that case, I let the trub settle out in the fermenter and then rack to another fermenter. I also have to make sure to get the plate chiller very clean.

Jake:
Yes, I remember seeing the instructions for that fixture around here....
I have a home made counter flow chiller and it works great.
I usually do as others do, let gravity and time take care of it in the primary, then rack the beer off the sediment to a secondary.
Just thought there might be a way to do it earlier in the process.
I won't worry about it then...
Thanks,
Joe.

Back