Pre-boiling water to dechlorinate and storing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmanbrew

Reaction score
I've seen a few posts similar but just wanted a consensus. I was hoping to cut some time off my brew day. Is it ok to pre-boil water to dechlorinate and store the water in sanitized sealed containers (like gallon water jugs) in the fridge? I'm thinking a day or two before brew day is ok but what about a week or two? The house could use some extra humidity now and then anyways.

I'm no chemist, but I don't think you have to boil to dechlorinate. Just put the water in the air out overnight, and the chlorine should dissipate. So, if you set your water out 24 hours before brewday, it should be chlorine free.

If it's chloramines, those don't boil out anyway. But you can add 1/2 campden tablet to 10 gallons of water and let it sit out and the chloramines will dissipate also.

Leaving chlorine-free water sitting for more than a few days makes me nervous about what could grow in it. But it in a sanitized container in the fridge it should be ok. I'd just put the water out the night before and let it sit instead of boiling for no reason, though.

bmanbrew said:
I've seen a few posts similar but just wanted a consensus. I was hoping to cut some time off my brew day. Is it ok to pre-boil water to dechlorinate and store the water in sanitized sealed containers (like gallon water jugs) in the fridge? I'm thinking a day or two before brew day is ok but what about a week or two? The house could use some extra humidity now and then anyways.

Chlorine yes. Chloromines no. Just chuck a campden tab in when heating the water up and take care of both right then and there

even if you do have chlorine in your water, I'm pretty sure it's not an issue until the yeast are involved. You're going to boil it all anyway before the yeast is added, so you're good.

But, if it's cholramine and not chlorine... yeah... what the other guys said.:D

So tap water needs to be treated before brewing with it...??? Camden tablets can be found at ? LHBS??

Can i get a bit more explination? please

Back