Prague

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1rubin

Reaction score
All,

I'm going to Prague in about a month and was wondering if anyone has any advice for brewery tours, either in or outside of the city. Obviously Pilzen is an option, but I'm sure there are better less heard of places to visit. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Klastorni Strahov.
It's the monastery on top of the hill behind the castle and observation tower. It's a steep ascent, but a direct route and fun walk. They're beer isn't mind-blowing, by our standards. However, when in Central Europe for a Montgomery you'll come to appreciate it very much.

Also, as you're leaving St. Stephen's you'll pass a small church on your left right before you get to the exit gates there is a private museum on the right. Check it out. It's owned by the Lobkovicz family. Their cafe features their own beers and the best view in Prague.

The beer scene isn't great there... depending on your evaluation of Pilsner and the beer styles it has inspired that's either shocking or to be expected. However, make friends with plenty of young locals and you'll have a great time wherever they take you and whatever you're drinking.

I was in Pils two years ago. Just happened that the Pilsner Urquell brewery was across the street from my hotel. Wasn't able to do a tour but had dinner in their restaurant that is located in the old beer storage area underground. Very resonable prices and the beer was excellent. The brewery is huge and old. Very cool, wish I could have done a tour.

U Fleku is extraordinarily smoky and no Czech people go there (unless they are entertaining tourists). There are plenty of better dark beers. Might as well tick it off the bucket list, but I went once and will never go again.

Go to Pivovarsky Klub (about an hours walk from city center). They'll have 2-3 better dark beers on tap, a stunning bottle selection, great food (Bordain went there on No Reservations) and no smoking.

Pivovarsky Dum is owned by the same people, in the city center. It is a small brewpub with pretty good food. The regular light and dark beer (Czech people only call beer from Pilsen Pilsener, natch) are pretty good and the specialty stuff ranges from weird to weird but awesome. When I was there they had an almond mead that was awesome (not made there). If you see that on the menu, order a pour. They only do tours for groups.

You can get unfiltered Pilsner Urquell (Tankvar) a billion places in Prague, do so.

Everyone talks up Wenceslas Square. It struck me as a crappier version of Times Square (and I hate Times Square). Another place no Czech people in their right mind go. Much better places to hang out in Prague but, again, might as well go and tick it off the list.

If you go to Pilsen, hit up the Bernard tied house there (closed Sunday and Monday I think, check online). They are one of my favorite Czech breweries.

When I was in Czech Republic a few years ago (maybe 8 years ago), I went on a tour at the original Budweiser brewery in Ceske Budejoviche. I'm sorry to say that it was a great disappointment, with no sampling at the end of the tour! Show us the production process, then out the door you go. Not the best way to market your product, although the beer on tap is fantastic.

Closer to Prague is Pilsen. I was at the Pilsener Urquell brewery, although no tours were being given at the time.

Prague is a great town for beer. It is fresh on tap and it's very affordable! Back then, it cost about $1 per 0.5 liter, much cheaper than in neighboring Germany.

Have a great time... Prague is an amazing city, it's beautiful and awe inspiring. Take a book of Kafka short stories and read a few while there!

Back