Power Cord GFCI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the issue with the one posted by the OP, is it's response time. I think 25ms is far too long...I think it's supposed to be around 5ms.

I could be wrong though.

For that price you should be able to buy a gfci breaker to put in your panel or a spa panel with a gfci breaker. Either way I think you will come out cheaper with a more serviceable product than the gfci cord.

The 30 amp GFCI breaker for my GE panel runs $120. Plus then you need to add the cost of the wiring and outlets to install the circuit. That's another $100+. Plus I would be taking up panel space for a circuit that is only used at most once a week. An inline GFCI cord makes a lot of sense in that case. I just bought a TRC 220v 30 amp inline GFCI cord set via CableOrganizer.com for $113 and change. That's the best deal going that I have seen and I have been researching this for two weeks now.

Sounds like a pretty good deal, and worth a look if you have a 220V outlet but don't want a permanent installation.

I think the issue with the one posted by the OP, is it's response time. I think 25ms is far too long...I think it's supposed to be around 5ms.

I could be wrong though.

You are right in the USA the standard is 5ms. I wouldn't play around with electric. Don't cheap out. Your talking about your life here!

Well if it's the Home Depot one by Midwest, that starts at $65. Then $35 for 25' of 10 gauge cable, $10 a plug (2 - 3 required depending on setup), plus whatever you need to add the 30 amp over-current protection, and I am already over $130. But obviously people have done it, so that is workable. But I guess where my life is on the line, I prefer something purpose-built, so $113 for the inline GFCI is good to me.

Well if it's the Home Depot one by Midwest, that starts at $65. Then $35 for 25' of 10 gauge cable, $10 a plug (2 - 3 required depending on setup), plus whatever you need to add the 30 amp over-current protection, and I am already over $130. But obviously people have done it, so that is workable. But I guess where my life is on the line, I prefer something purpose-built, so $113 for the inline GFCI is good to me.

The GFCI cable that you referenced ($121 including shipping for me) is only 3 ft though and only comes in a 3-wire twist lock which won't work for those using dryer outlets and who are wanting a 4 wire installation. Also, in the case of a dryer outlet, the circuit breaker in the main panel is already providing the overcurrent protection so it's not necessary to add anything for that.

The spa panel, a dryer cable, a 4-wire outlet for the panel, and a couple of cheap strain reliefs (plus no shipping) are all that are really needed, so I don't think what you layed out is exactly an apples to apples comparison.

The cableorganizer.com model that comes with 25' of cable is $146 and jsguitar's point about not having the correct plugs is valid also.

I ordered one of the inline GFCIs because I already had power run and the outlet on the wall is 3 wire twist lock because that's what we would do at work - I never even considered a dryer outlet. If I were to do it over I would install a spa panel but I think I would have stuck with a 3 wire twist lock even with a spa panel. I like the positive lock of twist lock. I have a separate 120V outlet right behind my brew area that feeds my MARCH pump - it has its own GFI.

Latest posts

Back