Potential Cider Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyg354

Plant Based Homebrewer
Reaction score
I had some Safale-05 and 1/2 lbs of Brown Sugar left over, so I bought two gallons of cider, blended it with the brown sugar and dumped half the package of Safale-05 in the fermenter three days ago. I looked today and no air bubble or krausen. Does this mean no fermentation or what?

I'm making my first cider with Nottingham right now....if I look closely I can see bubbling and the hydrometer definitely indicates it's fermenting, but there is zero krausen. I would take a hydro reading..it's probably fermenting.

Don't know for sure but would you even get krausen with cider? I know edwort's apfelwein fermentation = zero krausen. I just see a few CO2 bubbles swirling around at the top of the liquid so I know there is some activity happening in there.

I'd just wait a week or so, and take a grav. reading and a taste. Then you'll know for sure what's happening.

I made Graff and the krausen blew out of the airlock. Had to make an overflow.

Yes, it was pasturerized. Not sure chemically or not.

Yep, Potasium Sorbate. Guess I'll be dumping this tonight.

I'm about to do a cider too, and I know several people with orchards, just going to get 5-10 gallons of unpasteurized cider and pasteurize it myself.

I found this to be a great read about cider, which is how i found out about the chemical pasteurization

http://www.makinghardcider.com/index.html

Back