Potential base beer for a sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DC-Brewer

Reaction score
I brewed a Belgian dubbel a while back. Airlock went dry and I had a white patch on the surface. Assumed it was mold (probably correct) and transferred it to a keg and quickly tapped it.

It is ok but certainly not great. No amazing Belgian character but no real off flavors either. Used Antwerp yeast for the first time and it was overly bland.

I have about four gallons left in the keg. Been in the kegerator for last few months. Any thoughts on salvaging this as a sour project? I bought a local barrel aged quad and thought about pitching dregs after drinking it? Is mold the only contraindication to producing a sour?

Personally I would toss it and plan out a sour. I wouldn't be excited to drink something that I thought had mold in it. What kind of microbes are in the Quad?

I figured waste not want not but you are probably right. Not sure if it was mold since the beer has held in the keezer for months.

Quad has lacto and multiple “house” Brett. Didn’t comment on Pedio. I’ve got a brett c beer on tap that I’d add to it as well with some cherry juice.

Probably going to dump and start fresh as you suggested though with a new dubbel / quad recipe.

Any advice for getting some oak into a sanke fermenter? And more importantly getting it out? Was thinking of roasting a 3/4” dowel rod that would extend near the top so I could grab it if need be for removal.

Back