Potassium Sorbate Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moconno1

Reaction score
I've been brewing beer for about a year but am a new to making hard cider. I followed a simple hard cider recipe I found online that included 2 gallons of apple juice, 3 gallons of apple cider, 2 pounds of brown sugar, and a dry wine yeast. I made a major oversight by not checking the ingredients of the apple cider, and found out that the apple cider contained Potassium Sorbate, which apparently kills fermentation. The apple juice was preservative free, though I'm concerned the potassium sorbate will ruin it.

Is there anyway to save this batch, or is it likely a wash?

I pitched the yeast last night after I had combined all the ingredients at room temperature...

Given that I'm making 5 gallons of cider, how large a starter do you recommend I make? Should I let it sit for 2-3 days and then pitch?

Thanks for the help.

letting it sit won't help much, it won't dissolve out or bind to anything like campden does. i have never attempted this, but others have, with varying degrees of success.

maybe because it is diluted, you'll have an easier go of it? the addition of un stabilized juice might give the yeast a little more goodness to get going?
i would just drink it because i hate wasting stuff and you may end up dumping it.
and where did you get sorbated "cider" anyway?

The sorbated cider I got from the grocery store. I'm thinking of making a starter with yeast nutrient and 24oz or so of FRESH cider. Ideas?

I ended up making a pretty big starter; 40 oz. of fresh apple cider with 1/2 cup sugar added. My plan is to let the starter sit for 2 days and then add it. Thanks for everyone's help. I'll let you know how it goes.

It turns out that my strategy of making a big starter (40 oz. of cider PLUS 1/2 cup of sugar) and adding a different type of yeast (Liquid English Ale Yeast) worked quite well. I let the mixture sit for two full days, and then pitched the starter/new yeast into the pre-existing batch. I left my house for a weekend trip, and came home to a cider batch that was fermenting steadily and nicely.

Lesson learned: Potassium Sorbate is no match for a determined homebrewer.

I am having a similar issue. I made a5 gallon batch about 2 weeks ago and it hasn't done anything. Was confused, then dug through my trash and found on the label "contains 1/10th of 1% potassium sorbate" or something along those lines. I didn't dilute mine though, just added brown sugar, cinnamon and cider yeast. :(. Was thinking of doing the starter, but after 40 oz, may as well just start overage call it a loss.

Latest posts

Back