Potassium Metabisulfite mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Made a huge mistake! I added 1tsp of potassium metabisfulfite to one gallon that I just racked to secondary! Which is apparently wayyyy to much. I racked one gallon to secondary to play with some sugary additions post fermentation. And i used K meta and K sorbate with hopes of stabilizing yeast to prevent refermentaiton. Is this batch ruined? should i just dump it? Thoughts? thank you in advance!

It's (probably) not ruined, at least not yet. The sulfites can be removed.

My article is a work in progress but I believe I've answered this in adequate detail:
https://***************.com/wiki/Sulfite#Removing_Excessive_Sulfite_from_Wine
Hope this helps

Last edited:

My article is a work in progress but I believe I've answered this in adequate detail:
Hope this helps
So i Can leave it open without an airlock and it will probably be oxidized. Or add H2O2? But wouldnt this create some weird flavors. Ive probably added the amount that should be added to a 20 gallon batch lol. Would require a good amount of H2O2

Hope this helps
Also dont want to drink/package if it is going to be harmful to drink as well

H2O2 is only for if you can accurately measure the sulfite level.

The increased sulfate may change the flavor perception for the worse, but there's nothing you can do about that now.

I would splash rack, stir thoroughly, and then leave it for a couple days or at least until the sulfite aroma/sensation dissipates. A couple weeks is probably too long.
If you'd rather dump it than go through that effort, that's your call.

Made a huge mistake! I added 1tsp of potassium metabisfulfite to one gallon that I just racked to secondary! Which is apparently wayyyy to much. I racked one gallon to secondary to play with some sugary additions post fermentation. And i used K meta and K sorbate with hopes of stabilizing yeast to prevent refermentaiton. Is this batch ruined? should i just dump it? Thoughts? thank you in advance!
Did you also add too much sorbate? It's been a while since I did wine, but IIRC sorbate won't age out like sulfites.

Did you also add too much sorbate? It's been a while since I did wine, but IIRC sorbate won't age out like sulfites.
Indeed sorbate (sorbic acid) does not "age out".

If he added to much sorbate, he'd probably pickup a geranium smell.
No, the geranium smell is not caused by excessive sorbic acid. It is caused by active lactic acid bacteria in the presence of sorbic acid.

Hope this helps

Great article! It's already more useful and comprehensive than 95% of what I have read about sulfite usage.

To the OP - I don't think you ever said what you added the KMS to. Are you making beer, wine, or cider? Do you know what the pH is?

Hello there!

I just can't access the article listed above, HBT returns as "page not found". Was it moved to another section?

Thanks y'all

I'm currently drinking a Tart Cherry Cider that I accidentally added triple the dosage of K-Meta. It's my best cider so far. Not the slightest hint of Sulfur. Took forever to degas by stirring. I bought a wine whip so I'd never have to go through that again. I printed up a dosage chart for all my additives and hung it above my fermentation table.

Back