potassium metabisulfite in mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevoduz

Reaction score
So, I scored this free 25lb bag of Desiccated Coconut and would like to use it to make a coconut bomb imperial stout. The ingredients are just Coconut and potassium metabisulfite. I've brewed with lots of coconut, but always fresh and never in the mash just at flame out and secondary.

If I was to use some of this in the mash, would it make an impact on the yeast? I know camden tablets are used for brew water are basically potassium metabisulfite right? So I assume this wouldn't be an issue?

I'll be using more of the coconut in secondary well after fermentation is complete, just curious if it will cause any fermentation issues if I use it in the mash, or even at flame out? (which would be awesome but I'm guessing this would cause issues)

It would depend on how much potassium metabisulfite is in the amount you used. Campden in larger amounts is a sterilant and can kill the yeast unless you wait 24 hours or so. To be safe, you may want to wait a day after adding the coconut to pitch yeast. But that also introduces risks as well, so be cautious with your sanitizing practices.

Latest posts

Back