potassium carbonate - I added WAY to much... Now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeBronco

Reaction score
Yikes, i miss read the instructions and added 2oz of potassium carbonate instead of 2tsp into my wine! Is there a health effect? What now?

I'm curious about your sour pliny. How's that working out with all the hops in there considering their antiseptic/preservative qualities?

Potassium carbonate is something I very rarely use- I think once or twice in all the years I've made wine. It's used for acid adjustment, to raise the pH of a wine. It's used at the rate of about 1.0 g/l to reduce the TA by 1.0 g/l. 3.5 grams per gallon would lower the TA by about .1%.

If you're trying to reduce the TA that much (even two teaspoons is a lot!), I think the must is in trouble.

I'd be concerned about the pH now, and the acid balance. Any tartaric acid would have dropped out, I would think.

I guess you could test the pH and the TA and see where you're out, if you have the ability. If not, tasting the must is one way to see if it's ruined.

You can try racking off of any salts right away, if they've dropped out.

What type of wine is this?

I'm curious about your sour pliny. How's that working out with all the hops in there considering their antiseptic/preservative qualities?

The mash is soured without the hops. Sour Mash The hops are added into the boil, and when the beer ferments the Brettomysis takes over. The Brett or Lacto & Pedio is strong enough to power over the antiseptic qualities of the hops.

Here is Vinnys slide show about sours:How Russian River does Sours

Potassium carbonate is something I very rarely use- I think once or twice in all the years I've made wine. It's used for acid adjustment, to raise the pH of a wine. It's used at the rate of about 1.0 g/l to reduce the TA by 1.0 g/l. 3.5 grams per gallon would lower the TA by about .1%.

If you're trying to reduce the TA that much (even two teaspoons is a lot!), I think the must is in trouble.

I'd be concerned about the pH now, and the acid balance. Any tartaric acid would have dropped out, I would think.

I guess you could test the pH and the TA and see where you're out, if you have the ability. If not, tasting the must is one way to see if it's ruined.

You can try racking off of any salts right away, if they've dropped out.

What type of wine is this?

The odd part is that the wine still has a sourness to it, but very subtle as compared to the face puckering quality it had in the beginning. Its more of a mouth feel now. The wine was a 3 gallon Sangiovese from an older kit. My only hope now is to bring it back to life and dump a crap ton of brandy in it to fortify and back sweeten to make a port. Not my original plan, but the other 3 gallons of must went bad and grew mold as i was waiting for my port yeast to come in...

Back