Posting on this forum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
You may have noticed that I post a lot on this forum.

But today, I noticed that I am even more garrulous than usual. I think that my last two posts before this one must have come close to the limits of a million characters per post.

That got me thinking, as sometimes I post short replies, and sometimes I post a complete discourse on something.

I thought it was related to the amount of alcohol consumed and maybe that is part of it. But I'm sober!

Then I thought, "Oh! It's things I'm passionate about!"

But that's not it either.

I think it's the things that I feel confident about, maybe. The things that I KNOW to be correct or true, and not just a hypothesis or a recipe idea.

How about you? What makes you clam up, versus talking someone's ear off?

I have to admit that the app isn't the best for a longer post, at least on this iPad thingy. On my android stuff it's easier to type or I could use the voice thing and just talk.
For typing the laptop is prob the best and would get more out of me.
I also think having experience or knowledge of the subject also gets a few more words.
Sometimes I start a reply and half way through it I'm either hot about something or someone or it's sounding like I'm rambling... That gets cancelled and I move on to the next thread without posting.

I tend to post what has worked for me. You should learn a little something with every batch you make.

I also post things and stuff from time to time.

I'm not the greatest, or even close to half way, of posting useful info. mainly I just get useful info and post a bunch of smart mouth inane ramblings. once and a while I'll spout some jaded jackassery.

IF you give me the opportunity to make a joke or pun I can not help but make it usually. If I have information on something I can and will type long windedly and somehow get derailed halfway through. Oftentimes I get distracted halfway through typing and then upon coming back to the keyboard decide it is not worth it. Clam up if I am uncomfortable, talk too much when comfortable or buzzed.

But to answer your question though, I like the color orange.

thumbs_up.gif

You guys crack me up! I know you love me. I can tell behind the sarcasm. And even if you don't, I shall pretend that you do. So I'm happy as can be.

But, someone did point out why I was more loquacious than usual. I was on my desktop, and it's new and fast. Lately, I've been using my iPhone for browsing and I just don't like posting with it. I have a netbook that I use at our cottage, and that's not fun to type on either.

So, you guys all get a break from my blithering chat far more often than you used to!

:mug:

Broadly speaking, I find I can more adroitly contribute to a topic if I am not ambivalent to it. Also, I usually am compelled to participate in a discussion if I feel I can ameliorate it. Though I do sometimes perform restraint when encountering a discussion wherein questionable information is being disseminated.

Broadly speaking, I find I can more adroitly contribute to a topic if I am not ambivalent to it. Also, I usually am compelled to participate in a discussion if I feel I can ameliorate it. Though I do sometimes perform restraint when encountering a discussion wherein questionable information is being disseminated.

Now you're finally typing like you talk! :D

I write longer posts when I'm not on my phone. As far as the technical threads, most are either a) beyond my level of expertise so I just absorb info, or b) already sufficiently answered by the time I get there, so a dissertation isn't necessary.

If I were to talk about only the things I knew about or was confident about that would be a very boring conversation. I try to speculate, hypothesize, and really enjoy philosophic points of view.

I laik the way you tawk!

i love lamp

I find when I drink more, I get more sarcastic, not an altogether nice trait.

I try to be encouraging of people newer in brewing, it is a little embarrassing when someone is 20 pages of posts back on their "introduction" thread with no responses. Or if they have a simple question that has gone unanswered.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to give advice based on my personal experiences. It never ceases to amaze me how someone frequently pops in & says I'm wrong or disseminating bad information or quoting from this guys book or that guys paper. Or they pop in & says "this guy says this so you're wrong" kind of thing. That's when I used to clam up & just walk away. Other times, I'm in for the fight. Especially when I know I'm right. I may bring up experiences that are contradictory to current theory, but worked for me more that once. Isn't this how new ideas come about? Science is good, sure, but doesn't always strictly apply to a given situation the same way every time. Variables are always there to challenge excepted theories. Other times, I'm in a whimsical mood & just jivin' around.

I remember the advice that "it is better to be quiet and be thought an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"---but it is too late for that so I post sometimes anyway, usually as succinctly as possible.

I tend to talk the most when I have no clue about the subject matter. I just spill my brains out in the public direction until I have heard all my own arguments, then I make my mind up based on the verbal carnage spewed all around me.

Then I go to the debate forum, and state my well considered opinion in about three words, expecting everyone to know what I am thinking based on the abstract version of all the earlier spewfest. :)

Back