Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a big brew, we use lots of fresh orange and ginger, and 3 lbs of honey. Finishes around 12 abv. I've never attempted a sour before, should I rack from under the surface and bottle as usual, or just let it sit for a year or two? and see what happens?

Infected or not? This is the cream of three crops split into 2 buckets. 13 days after pitching.

1401208681362.jpg

1401208692395.jpg

Haha. Seems like sound advice. A had just moved it to rack to kegs and bottling bucket. Maybe I stored up and cause it my self

This one isn't technically my infection, but it's residing in my house. One of the guys who brews in the club I run did a 10 gallon batch, split it with 2 different yeasts (I believe this one was pitched with S-33)... I don't think it's going to turn out quite as planned.

The other batch is fine.

IMG_2618[2].jpg

W00t! First post on HBT and it's about an infection. Yay me!

Ayways, this is what I found lurking on top of my dry stout earlier this week:

10389359_865117280169364_7331684780076052990_n.jpg

I gather it's not uncommon and my actually benefit my beer immensely, so I'm leaving it there for a couple of months.
Advice needed: when I'm ready to bottle, do I rack under it or shake the carboy to make it sink first? Any idea how long I should leave these Shoggoths to work their wiles on my brew?

I gather it's not uncommon and my actually benefit my beer immensely, so I'm leaving it there for a couple of months.
Advice needed: when I'm ready to bottle, do I rack under it or shake the carboy to make it sink first? Any idea how long I should leave these Shoggoths to work their wiles on my brew?

It will most likely eventually fall on it's own. Then it's time to taste. If it's drinkable, go ahead and bottle. If not I'd say dump it and bleach the life out of that bucket.

somehow that picture makes me want to taste it

If it doesn't drop, just rack from under that skin and bottle it. I wouldn't knock that dermal layer back into the beer.

Sent from Cheese Doodle Land.

This one isn't technically my infection, but it's residing in my house. One of the guys who brews in the club I run did a 10 gallon batch, split it with 2 different yeasts (I believe this one was pitched with S-33)... I don't think it's going to turn out quite as planned.

The other batch is fine.

What is that, like 1 gallon of beer in a 6 gallon pail?

It wont go away. Just sample it every now and again. Itll taste like crap at first but then it'll be very very good with time. Just rack under it and bottle. Make sure you clean that carboy out as best as you can or label as wild/sour only. Also buy a new set of equipment for the bottling.

Looks like the lacto from hell! Never saw one develope like that. It won't drop,but only get worse.

It wont go away. Just sample it every now and again. Itll taste like crap at first but then it'll be very very good with time. Just rack under it and bottle. Make sure you clean that carboy out as best as you can or label as wild/sour only. Also buy a new set of equipment for the bottling.

I've had much bigger pellicles than that drop. But the timeframe was 18+ months.

Think this might be the start of my first infection. So far I had great luck in probably 40 batches. everything else went great with this brew. It's only about 2 weeks old, but i force carbed a sample in a 20 oz bottle and it tastes slightly tart. I shined a flashlight on it for the pic to come out better. Pretty bummed. This was a simple cream ale for about 40 family members for July 4th. What do you all think...am I right that this is an infection?

1401833937707.jpg

I highly doubt that is yeast... looks pretty gross. Maybe just bottle it and don't tell anyone O_O

I had something similar looking a while ago and it was not infected
I also have tasted sometimes tart/acidish/citrus like tastes at bottling but they went away after 2-3 weeks of bottle carbing

SsNeEBR.jpg

Think this might be the start of my first infection. So far I had great luck in probably 40 batches. everything else went great with this brew. It's only about 2 weeks old, but i force carbed a sample in a 20 oz bottle and it tastes slightly tart. I shined a flashlight on it for the pic to come out better. Pretty bummed. This was a simple cream ale for about 40 family members for July 4th. What do you all think...am I right that this is an infection?

Is there a film on top? Hard to tell, even with the flashlight. If not, and it's just the floaters, I'd say it looks like yeast rafts. The taste may just be green beer

It has the looks of a starting infection. Now it's being exposed to oxygen the pellicle may grow faster. The beer may still be good, even if it sours some more.

I'd say brew it again ASAP and you may have a decent drinkable ale for the party, alas maybe not as clear as you want. Use force carbing and a few days cold rest.

Is this infected? This happened after dumping a can of purée in the bucket.
It's a farmhouse saison yeast so it already had funk. The top looks dry.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401907368.684027.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1401907385.160298.jpg

Pretty much figured. I am not dumping him yet…I tried it and it's not okay but it's not bad. If that makes any sense.

Rack from under it to the bottling bucket. I saved my Maori IPA that way.

Before I make all of my bottling gear useless for anything but sours, I will get another opinion on the taste. It may not be worth it. Not 100% sure so I need another pallet.

Any ideas pale ale brew with granola has vanilla and almond In the granola ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402331807.198567.jpg all grain brew krausen was very weak

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Each looks like oil in water dark brown like vanilla. Do pale ales not typically krausen or should I repitch if gravity is no good

Every beer should produce some sort of Krausen. Its part of the process. It might be some oil from the granola especially with almonds and vanilla. Just relax and let it run its course and taste and check gravity once done. If the gravity is still high you can repitch but how did you add the yeast?

Ok so I brewed a all grain batch of Northern Brewers Dead Ringer IPA on 2/18/2014

OG 1.06

Wyeast 1056

On 3/6/14 I dry hopped 2oz of centenial but I did not sanitize my hop bag... DUN DUN DUN!!!

3/13/14 I opened my fermenter and saw a layer of oily bubbles and was heart broken.

I tried to save the brew by adding Camden tabs and kegging the bottom 4 gallons.

Tasted like doo doo. So I dumped it ( literally) into my bottling bucket and stuck a lid on it. I couldn't make myself throw it out hoping that one day it would mature and be a good sour.

So today while kegging a Belgium Wit I decided to check on my old disgusting friend.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402511289.398303.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1402511299.596697.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1402511315.318216.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1402511323.621232.jpg

Yes I did drink that.... LoL

I took a sample from the buckets spigot.

There is almost no smell at all and a nice mellow flavor. It is slightly bitter

My question is when will I be able to bottle this ugly beast and how the hell should I do it... ?

Will this layer of death ever go away or should I rack it from the bottom?

Should I wait a couple more months? My bee a year? I don't really need this bucket...

Yeah it's definitely better than it was a couple months ago... I think I'm going to let it sit a while longer. See what happens :)

My first AG and I think I have an infection. SG was at 1.000 and there was a very strong, burn your nostrils odor. Didn't taste well. Thoughts?

infected 1.jpg

infected 2.jpg

I wish I could post the smell of my sour wort gose here. Intentionally infected, sure, but thàt was not the intention.

Latest posts

Back