Post Your Brewsheet! (tools for hitting target gravities)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wonderbread23

Reaction score
I've been using a pretty simple brewsheet for years which allows me to quickly and easily adjust my recipe and process on the fly based on pre-boil gravity in order to hit my target gravity.

My Brewsheet

I also use it to track a variety of measurements that I take both on brewday and when the beer is finished fermenting.

I'm curious to see what others have created? I'd love to see what other people are doing and how I can improve my own.

I've been using a pretty simple brewsheet for years which allows me to quickly and easily adjust my recipe and process on the fly based on pre-boil gravity in order to hit my target gravity.

My Brewsheet

I also use it to track a variety of measurements that I take both on brewday and when the beer is finished fermenting.

I'm curious to see what others have created? I'd love to see what other people are doing and how I can improve my own.

How far off do you need to be before you will make additions or adjustments?

I generally don't make any adjustments. My results have generally been close to my intended gravity with the exception of a kolsh/blonde I made recently. It ended up being really law, but I just left it and ended up with a very low alcohol beer. I've been tinkering with my set up a bit recently. My hope is that once I get a final set up, I can dial in my numbers and this just won't be an issue anymore.

How far off do you need to be before you will make additions or adjustments?

I generally don't make any adjustments. My results have generally been close to my intended gravity with the exception of a kolsh/blonde I made recently. It ended up being really law, but I just left it and ended up with a very low alcohol beer. I've been tinkering with my set up a bit recently. My hope is that once I get a final set up, I can dial in my numbers and this just won't be an issue anymore.

I check every beer pre-boil. If it is off by more than .002-.004 I tend to make adjustments before I begin my boil. It's really pretty simple and doesn't add any more work to the brewday.

I check every beer pre-boil. If it is off by more than .002-.004 I tend to make adjustments before I begin my boil. It's really pretty simple and doesn't add any more work to the brewday.

My worry is not that its added work. I just don't worry about being a few points off. Honestly, I think I would be hard pressed to notice the difference between a beer with an OG of 1.050 and one with an OG of 1.046. I might notice it if I were actually drinking the two side-by-side, but that rarely happens. And I am always brewing recipes that I made up (I don't try to clone beers or use recipes that I find from others exactly as they are), so I am not too worried about hitting a precise number.

Like I said, once I get my system and process finalized, I figure that my efficiency should be pretty consistent (based on the OG) and I should be able to repeat my recipes without too much difficulty.

Interesting post. I may start using something close to your sheet for tracking purposes though.

I too am not interested in cloning or doing someone else's recipe point to point. I do rebrew some of my best recipes but every time is different and I like that. My system is scarily accurate at getting my OG...hardly ever off by a point or two. I'm also hardly ever over the intended OG and so if for some reason I am short, I will simply add some sugars later down the road.

Nice sheet though

Back