Post springs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxNative

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I recently bought four used ball locks and I’ve stripped them all down to notice that some have springs as shown on the left and some on the right.

New to kegging so my error in not paying mind to which came from gas/liquid. Are these just two different styles or are they intended for one side or the other?

The one to the left seemed like it was more loosely fit.

9FD2D042-F8AC-46D4-940D-55F5F7541D79.jpeg

Bonus question is there any preference to the length of this tube that goes on the gas side?

03C09FF7-1227-4DD2-8980-D52C2ED666CB.jpeg

bonus question! right on, no as long as it's long enough to get a o-ring to seal it. and not too long to get beer up it.....if you vent while purging, could be a problem....or something like that, i'd go for the short one.....

and those are original, and replaced universal poppets....i've had to snip some of my universal, a ring or so, to get them to work right...

:mug:

New to kegging so my error in not paying mind to which came from gas/liquid. Are these just two different styles or are they intended for one side or the other?

I suspect these are from different brand kegs (or a replacement). I have some (purchased new) Torpedo kegs that have the two piece poppets. All my 5-gallon kegs (purchased used) have the same one piece poppet.

ya beat me to it. The spring ont he right is a universal replacement.

the dip tubes for gas...it only matteres that is be long enough to hold the o-ring. shorter is better, but not flush.

While most of the quick disconnects appear the same, other than the difference between gas and liquid, it's not a good idea to strip all the kegs all at once and put all the parts together like that as there are different manufacturers of ball lock kegs and the parts can be slightly different. Even when exactly the same manufacturer, sometimes the parts wear into a specific keg and don't play well in the other ones. Same for the lids.

The poppet on the left is original more than likely and probably more worn but you also have to make sure the feet are seated in the post completely. Those universal poppets, right, tend to have stronger springs as well in my experience, the coils are thicker.

While most of the quick disconnects appear the same, other than the difference between gas and liquid, it's not a good idea to strip all the kegs all at once and put all the parts together like that as there are different manufacturers of ball lock kegs and the parts can be slightly different. Even when exactly the same manufacturer, sometimes the parts wear into a specific keg and don't play well in the other ones. Same for the lids.

The poppet on the left is original more than likely and probably more worn but you also have to make sure the feet are seated in the post completely. Those universal poppets, right, tend to have stronger springs as well in my experience, the coils are thicker.

First, thanks to everyone for the prompt responses.

Now that I have indeed mixed all the parts up is there a good way to adjust, or test, what will work? I only need one working keg for the time being. In day 10 of primary fermentation.

First, thanks to everyone for the prompt responses.

Now that I have indeed mixed all the parts up is there a good way to adjust, or test, what will work? I only need one working keg for the time being. In day 10 of primary fermentation.
Looks like 3 kegs could be the same maybe all four. Most kegs have writing on the sides regarding manufacturer. Mainly go easy on the posts because sometimes thread sizes are different and you don't want to crossthread the posts. Hand tighten to start. Pressure test once assembled. Also, the dip tube can bend slightly. If they don't go in easy, try the diptube on a different keg.

The poppets I see have I think the fat gaskets that are indicative of one manufacturer which offhand I don't know specifically.

You could possibly have a racetrack lid on one but that would be obvious.

Back