Post Bottling Infection? Band Aid/Plastic/Grapefruit Rind Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medusa1066

Reaction score
So as not to revive any 1-2 year old threads, I needed to share my dissapointments. I've brewed for about two years, and at least two of my previous batches have had the dreaded band-aid taste, an american wheat and an Irish Red, both LME with steeping. I assumed chlorine/chloramine and started using filtered water through this: http://www.amazon.com/Whirlpool-UltraEase-WHKF-R-PLUS-WHCF-R-PLUS/dp/B0045LOQ64

On my next batch, Yooper's DFH 60 min clone, I used the filtered water. Unfortunately I used yeast I propogated from Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. And the temp got too low and I had to rouse and raise the temp. Gravity samples tasted great. Despite this it landed at target FG (gravity sample tastes great), and after two weeks in the bottle it was the best IIPA I have ever had. So proud of myself. I fed these to my friends on Saturday from flip top bottles.

Monday rolls around I chill one pour it and it looks like a lot of the haze is gone. I smell band aids...I taste plastic and grapefruit rind...no more simcoe, amarillo flavor or aroma. I try another, notice the bottle has cleared and the sediment is kinda loose on the bottom with suspension around the shoulder of the bottle. Taste, dump, repeat. :(

Does this timeline confirm a bottling infection? I only use Star San. I immerse 2-3 bottles in a bucket, dump well, and bottle with wand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy some campden tablets and see if that helps. My water is treated with chloromine and I was experiencing a bit of off flavors but they seemed to do the trick. I usually use about a half a tablet in 8 gallons of water to start with before the mash.

Buy some campden tablets and see if that helps. My water is treated with chloromine and I was experiencing a bit of off flavors but they seemed to do the trick. I usually use about a half a tablet in 8 gallons of water to start with before the mash.

I added campden to my most recent batch so we will see. I will continue to do so as insurance. However, if it was chloramine/chlorine it would taste like this on the gravity readings and immediately in a bottle?

Back