Post bottling haze. Where does it come from?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
So just curious when I'm racking to the bottling bucket the beer is see through clear when it's passing through the racking cane and siphon but then I bottle it let it carb after a couple weeks place a few in the fridge for a couple days and when I crack one it's no where near as clear as it was when I racked it. These are simple grain recipes with just two row, Vienna, crystal and carapils so no adjunct like wheat or barley that would cause a haze. Will the beer clear if it's left in the fridge longer? Just curious as to thoughts as I'm not a huge stickler about the clarity of beer.

Probably protein haze. may or may not clear, but readily disturbed iif it does drop.

Generally starts to form as the beer drops below 40 F, and clears again as the beer gets above about 55 F. If you just cool the beer for a couple of hours, you may not get it as it may not get cold enough.

Chill haze starts to form like a fog as the bottles chill down. Usually, given 5-7 days fridge time, it settles out. Protein haze comes from incomplete conversion during the mash & won't settle out very easily, if at all.

Chill haze starts to form like a fog as the bottles chill down. Usually, given 5-7 days fridge time, it settles out. Protein haze comes from incomplete conversion during the mash & won't settle out very easily, if at all.

Chill haze, and Protein haze are the same thing. From BYO::

"Understanding Chill Haze
Most beers are clear at room temperature. If there are haze-producing proteins and tannins (both primarily from malt) suspended in the beer, haze particles don’t form because of the warm temperature. When beer is chilled, these proteins and tannins react to clump into larger particles that are big enough to reflect light. The haze clumps are white, and while they are suspended in beer, they make the beer appear hazy or milky. The clumps are slightly heavier than beer, so if the beer is kept undisturbed at refrigerator temperature for a few weeks, it will become clear again as the protein settles to the bottom of the bottle.
"

Both are caused by dissolved proteins in the wort. BUT, chill haze & protein haze , as we term them, come from different processes. And, as such, must be dealt with in different ways. Chill haze can be lessened by using Whirlfloc, Irish miss, or the like near the end of the boil to help settle out dissolved proteins. Then chilling in 20 minutes or less helps reduce chill haze come fridge time.
Protein haze, as we refer to it, comes from incomplete conversion of the starches into sugars. Also referred to as starch haze, it won't settle out much, usually not at all in my experiences. So the two do come from dissolved proteins, but react in different ways come fridge time.

Probably protein haze. may or may not clear, but readily disturbed iif it does drop.

Generally starts to form as the beer drops below 40 F, and clears again as the beer gets above about 55 F. If you just cool the beer for a couple of hours, you may not get it as it may not get cold enough.

You know now that you mention his I've noticed bottles that haven't sat on the fridge as long ie a couple hours, are much clearer than the ones that have been in for a day or two or more. Always was curious about the difference.

You know now that you mention his I've noticed bottles that haven't sat on the fridge as long ie a couple hours, are much clearer than the ones that have been in for a day or two or more. Always was curious about the difference.

Yep, that's a clear description of chill haze.

So it'll clear over time then? Thanks Lorena.

Yes, if you store it in the fridge, the haze will drop out and it will clear.

Chill haze is very interesting to read about. It only shows up when the beer is cold (um, hence the name chill haze I suppose..........duh!) but the beer will be crystal clear when it is warm.

It also can cause some long term instability in the beer, so that's why it's so interesting and should be avoided by not having it in the first place if possible.

I'll try to find a link or two later- making peanut sauce for dinner in a couple of minutes!

Back