possibly stupid question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloudyp

Reaction score
hey!
so this may be a very stupid question but i’m incredibly new to the world of brewing and mead!
So i’m wondering, if i make a 5gal batch of standard honey mead with no added flavors could i, after primary fermentation, split that up and do like 2 different flavored or does it all have to stay together?

Absolutely you can. It’s a great way to experiment.
Just be sure whatever vessel you’re using for the secondary, that you’re topping it up to the neck with as little headspace as possible.
oh amazing thank you so much!

But if you are new to mead making why spend money to make 5 gallons of mead (about 15 lbs of honey) when you can make five single gallons improving your techniques and practices with each batch ? Brewers seem to view 5 gallon batches as almost a hard and fast law, but you can obtain about 5 bottles (750 ml) from a gallon of mead and 5 bottles of mediocre mead is not quite as hard to swallow as two cases of crap...

Just as another added reminder, if your "flavoring" with anything that has fermentable sugar make sure to stabilize your mead before adding "flavor" to prevent refermentation and bottle bombs :) Unless you're going for a carbonated beverage, then nevermind. Have fun playing with that base mead!

But if you are new to mead making why spend money to make 5 gallons of mead (about 15 lbs of honey) when you can make five single gallons improving your techniques and practices with each batch ? Brewers seem to view 5 gallon batches as almost a hard and fast law, but you can obtain about 5 bottles (750 ml) from a gallon of mead and 5 bottles of mediocre mead is not quite as hard to swallow as two cases of crap...
hahah very valid-because i’m a dummy and followed the first recipe in my book! but to be fair i work at a co op so i actually got some honey for free or the rest with a big discount so i’m not THAT upset but i definitely feel a little silly, but you live and learn!

No need to feel silly. We all have been through a similar process.

My first Mead was 15 pounds honey 4 gallons city municipal water from my tap and I just threw 5gr of dry yeast in it then placed an airlock and didn't touch it for 60 days. Took 18 - 20 months to be anywhere near drinkable but at 36 months was pretty good. (Never really got great but good enough.)

Take a look at the Recipe Thread and search out some recipes, they often will help you to define some practices that worked for them.

This one was last updated in Feb of 2017 - I probably should update it with some additional learnings sense then. But is a good start...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/detailed-melomel-recipe.587928/
Here is another that is pretty good (With a nod to Bernard and others)
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/quick-mead-open-source-groennfell-mead-modification.673041/
NOTE
I no longer:
- Use Tea in primary - Just personally not overly impressed with the results.
- I follow the TOSNA 3.0 criteria for Nutrients. vs. the SNA protocol defined in the recipe. Gives me a cleaner ferment.

Keep at it your Mead will only get better with time.... AND Listen to Bernard and some of the other smart folks on the forum. Understanding that they are not infallible and often get some get great results with practices i personally would not try.

Build your own practices and protocols and enjoy the journey!

hey!
so this may be a very stupid question but i’m incredibly new to the world of brewing and mead!
So i’m wondering, if i make a 5gal batch of standard honey mead with no added flavors could i, after primary fermentation, split that up and do like 2 different flavored or does it all have to stay together?
Welcome to the forum. You’ve already gotten answers to your question, that’s what the forum is for, so no need to apologize or self-deprecate. I would add that patience is a very important ingredient, and “happy” yeast makes good mead more quickly, and they are the happiest with nutrients and the right temperature range.

Theory I wish I realized way back a long time ago. I admittedly believed that the cost savings for a 5 gal vs a 1 gal was worth it. Yes, cost/unit goes down, but who wants to "down" 40 pints of meh product.

hmm, sometimes i question mine and "some" other peoples sanity myself!
Point taken.

To clarify my point, 1 5gal batch vs 5 1gal batches, in theory, I'm still getting the same 40 pints but learn 4 times as much about the process, providing I learn and grow from each batch.

Reality: I still have 40 pints regardless of method.

Theory: small improvements from each batch suggests that pints 33-40 are 4x better than pints 1-8.

Latest posts

Back