Possible problem or is this normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drwoods21

Reaction score
I received a Muntons IPA Bitter beer kit that I won in a contest.
http://www.muntons.com/homebeer/countries/uk/connsr_ipabitter.htm

I had done a couple of extract kits before this so I wanted to change it up a bit. I added an extra 2lb of light DME and 1oz of extra hops at the end for aroma.

My OG ended up to be 1042.

I checked my gravity 4 days later and it was 1016 so I assumed everything was good.

It now has been 2 months and 4 days and I have tasted it and it has a really strong alcohol taste and not drinkable. I would expect for it to not take this long to mature.

Does anyone have any ideas what could have went wrong or why it is taking this long.

I have not been brewing long so it could have been completely my fault. I am just curious if so what it was so it wont happen again.

If you need anymore information in order to help figure it out please ask. I will answer to the best of my ability.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

a properly brewed IPA should be ready 4-6 weeks after brew day. i agree that it sounds like you fermented hot. try a kit with fresh ingredients and fresh yeast from your local HBS and make sure that you don't pitch the yeast until the worst is around 70 degrees and ferment colder than that if possible.

4 days was incredibly short. You should take a minimum of 2 gravity readings at least 2-3 days a part to make sure it was done. Yeast also create a lot of other things while they are converting to alcohol and can greatly benefit from a minimum of 10 days to clean up after themselves and produce a much better tasting beer. You definitely jumped the gun on this one. Best practice is to wait at least 3 weeks in the primary if you can manage it then bottle.

Thanks for the input! It probably was fermented a little too hot 70-72F.

twistr25 - I did not say that I did anything after 4 days. That is just when I checked the gravity. I still have not kegged it, it is in my secondary as I dont want to keg until it is almost ready to drink. I just took a sample out and tasted to my disappointment.

Are there any suggestions on how to salvageable it or is a gonner?

Thanks for all the input guys. This brew was done before I had a way of getting my fermentation temp down lower than my house ambient temp.

twistr25 - I did not say that I did anything after 4 days. That is just when I checked the gravity. I still have not kegged it, it is in my secondary as I dont want to keg until it is almost ready to drink. I just took a sample out and tasted to my disappointment.

Thanks for all the input guys. This brew was done before I had a way of getting my fermentation temp down lower than my house ambient temp.

Maybe throw some dry hops in and keg it. It will taste quite a bit different carbed up and the extra hops could help cover some alcohol bite?

Those are fusel alcohols. Afraid you're pretty much stuck with them. You should definitely try brewing another IPA, but just remember to control the fermentation temperature to around 64 to 69 or so. Keep it fairly consistent too (no major temp swings - even 5 degrees). Do this, and you'll keg some killer excellent brew.

Also, I wouldn't drink too much of those fusel alcohols. They'll give you a seriously nasty headache.

Those are fusel alcohols. Afraid you're pretty much stuck with them. You should definitely try brewing another IPA, but just remember to control the fermentation temperature to around 64 to 69 or so. Keep it fairly consistent too (no major temp swings - even 5 degrees). Do this, and you'll keg some killer excellent brew.

Also, I wouldn't drink too much of those fusel alcohols. They'll give you a seriously nasty headache.

This is the best advice. Remember that fermentation creates heat, so you want the fermenting beer to be 64-69, which means the air around it will need to be cooler.

I made an assumption, my fault. I though you were saying after 4 days you assumed everything was good and moved it over to another vessel, keg or secondary. My apologies.

I guess I will have to let this batch go as I don't want to suffer through headaches.

Any ideas for a cheap yet reliable fermentation chamber. I am will to use my handyman skills if needed.

Thanks

I use the swamp cooler method. I use a rubbermaid tub, fill with water and some frozen 2L soda bottles full of water and stick the fermenter in that. That works very well for lots of folks and it doesn't get much cheaper or simpler.

Johnson Digital controller plus a 50 dollar chest freezer or refrigerator from Craigslist. Total spent would be around $120, but it's the last time you'd worry about keeping your temperatures steady (and much easier than switching out ice bottles).

Nice thanks for the Johnson controller suggestion. I had actually just bought another mini fridge to keep a keg in so I will get one of these controllers so that it can double for fermentation.

I have been told that the fusels will mellow out if i just let the beer age, so I am just going to let it sit and see what happens. Anyone have experience with this?

I won't tell you "they won't," but I would say you should definitely find a nice, quiet place for the batch to grow old. I understand that fusels can last for years. Good luck if you want to age it out. Oxidation may become a new problem if you do.

I have been told that the fusels will mellow out if i just let the beer age, so I am just going to let it sit and see what happens. Anyone have experience with this?

Fusels, if present, won't mellow. Well, at least not in your lifetime.

It can age for years, and years. But fusels won't go away. Some higher alcohols will though so it's not impossible for it to improve if it's not fusels.

Back