POSSIBLE NEW PRODUCT FOR CORNY KEGS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I switched designs so it’s going to use ultra sonic sensors to determine the level of the liquid I’m not sure about a laser the reason I chose the ultrasonic sensor is because it can be reflected off the surface of the beer. I’m worried the laser won’t do that.
Laser does work, at least on wort and beer. I imagine in water it would just go through and make measurement impossible. It's actually how I measure the level on my Unitank through a sight glass.

Have you already tested the technology or is this still in the design phase? The reason I ask is because AFAIK utrasound doesn't work well in tight spaces, because of the secondary echos. In large vessels it works just fine, in a tiny keg I'm afraid you won't get it to provide a reliable readout even if your life depended on it.

The Plaato unit seems to be quite a bit higher tech and quite a bit more expensive. It's also unproven and only in the crowdfunding phase.

I think the Plaato units are farther along. The crowdfunding was for production not development. I've seen on social media test units floating around for at least six months. I won one in a giveaway, but I was told they wouldn't be rolling out till mid-Nov-early-Dec.
The principle is sound. I use it all the time when I do blends, only I'm using a postal scale. There's is a sleek digital postal scale attached to wifi and flood alarm.

Back