Possible infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wakadaka

Reaction score
I did BM's cream of three crops for my first AG BIAB. I started my mash a bit too high, but all in all it wasn'ta terrible brew day. It was also my first time using washed yeast. I had some washed US-05 from an IPA, that I washed and put in one mason jar. I decanted and dumped all of the yeast in.

About 2 weeks after pitching I went to check on the beer, and it tastes and smells very bad. I don't see any visible signs of infection, but there is very very little krausen along the sides of the bucket. The FG is about 1.005.

I would describe the smell and taste as somewhat sour and corn like sort of. I am curious if this is an infection, bad technique on my first AG, or something possibly to do with the recipe? I have never used corn or rice in my brewing before.

I was planning on racking it to a secondary today, because I need the yeast that it is sitting on, but if its infected I don't want it going in my Better bottle as well.

Oh and I added a little bit of cane sugar to the boil as well. For some reason it seemed like a good idea at the time, to just grab some sugar and sprinkle some in to help dry it out. I don't really know why I did that, and I didn't measure it or record putting it in. It was less than 1/2 a lb though. The OG was about 1.050.

The recipe was basically the same besides that except I used 1/2 oz hallatauer and 1/2oz willamette for 60 minutes each

I'd not throw out the beer as it may just be a funky fermentation. But, then I would also not harvest yeast from any fermentation that was not normal.

Yea I am just postponing my planned brew for today until I get some fresh yeast. I am just going to leave it in the bucket for a while until I can get a definite answer. If its an infection I am going to have to throw out the bucket anyways, or just use it for storage, and if not then it will just get a long primary. I really just want to know if its something wrong with my process. I think that it would be during my yeast washing that I might have gotten it infected, because I sanitized my fermenter and all of my siphoning stuff the same as I usually do.

Another factor actually was that it was my first time using my new alluminum brew pot. I boiled water in it for over an hour though a couple days before i brewed. I don't think that has anything to do with why it tastes bad.

I've never thrown beer away after just two weeks. I'm not sure about your circumstance but anything I taste or smell after just two-weeks is hardly grounds for me determining that my beer is a throwaway. I've never had a terrible beer.

I also wouldn't use this yeast if you suspect something is wrong with it. Let it sit another two weeks before moving to another vessel.

I've never thrown beer away after just two weeks. I'm not sure about your circumstance but anything I taste or smell after just two-weeks is hardly grounds for me determining that my beer is a throwaway. I've never had a terrible beer.

I also wouldn't use this yeast if you suspect something is wrong with it. Let it sit another two weeks before moving to another vessel.

I usually wouldn't post anything about a beer after 2 weeks, but this thing just smells so bad. Usually after 2 weeks I can tell at least somewhat what the final product will taste like. I can tell that some things are going to condition out, or just taste better in the end, but this batch just smells and tastes like death.

And yeah I'm definately not using the yeast from it again.

I will probably just leave it in the bucket for a few more weeks because I would have to throw away the bucket anyways if it is infected.

so could this batch be saved, or do you guys think it is infection? How bad have you had something tasting and smelling without it being infected?

Sour & corn like sounds like process/temps to me. Look for a sticky on off flavors,I forget all the details off the top of my head.

Continue with your process as normal. Leave it in the vessel its in right now for about 5 weeks. Throwing beer out is usually a last option even after the entire brewing/fermentation/bottling process is complete. After a month or so you may notice the flavor and aroma is mellowing out.

In order for me to throw it out, it would have to show ZERO signs of improvements for a time period of around 2-3 months. If it improves slightly, I wait longer hoping it mellows out even more. I'm in no rush. Some people say brewing is too much fun and life is too short to try to wait for a beer that appears to have failed. I kind of hate failure so I'd let it sit for awhile every time.

Continue with your process as normal. Leave it in the vessel its in right now for about 5 weeks. Throwing beer out is usually a last option even after the entire brewing/fermentation/bottling process is complete. After a month or so you may notice the flavor and aroma is mellowing out.

In order for me to throw it out, it would have to show ZERO signs of improvements for a time period of around 2-3 months. If it improves slightly, I wait longer hoping it mellows out even more. I'm in no rush. Some people say brewing is too much fun and life is too short to try to wait for a beer that appears to have failed. I kind of hate failure so I'd let it sit for awhile every time.

Would you leave it 2-3 months in a bucket? I don't want to bottle it, because I am short on bottles. I guess there is little harm in it sitting in a bucket for 3 months, but this is supposed to be a quick turnaround beer. I kinda brewed it just to get the pipeline going good, but hey thats life I guess

I kinda brewed it just to get the pipeline going good, but hey thats life I guess

Yup, that's life. I use glass and I have a few backups so if my beer takes a long time so be it. If this was supposed to be a quick brew and you want to move on, throw it out and chalk it up as the one that got away. It may not be worth it if it was just to be a quickly made session beer. I guess the only thing is you would never know if it would've fixed itself.

I'm going to have to buy a new fermenter anyways I guess because I have heard people say that any scratches in a bucket will hold an infection. I don't want to get excited and put the money and time into another brew when I could get another fermenter for the price of that brew.

Oh well I guess thats one reason people should use glass instead of plastic.

I have the same exact smell and taste. Dunno what it is. My beer is only 2 weeks old and is a lager. I also used corn sugar in the process. I think it could be the corn sugar giving it the taste and smell. Its prolly not bacteria because I drank like three unfinished beers and didn't die yet feel fine and my tummy moves a little tho.

I was thinking that it might be something to do with using corn and rice in brewing.

How bad is yours tasting/ smelling at this point? When I opened the bucket it had a more intense smell than when I dry hopped an IPA.

Back