Possible infection? Put my arm in the bucket while bottling...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

javiceras

Reaction score
Hello all!
Yesterday I started my typical bottling procedures for my new vanilla stout (by the way, the beer looks wonderful :mug:).
But the bottling bucket leaked, so I had to put my arm in it and fix the spigot while the liquid was filling it from the secondary!
My doubt is: will I get an infection?? I hope no!!
What´s your opinion?

Thank you!!

Hard to say, don't know where your hand and arm had been before placing in your brew. Hopefully it will be ok.

I'd say just wait it out. I did this last July and my batch got all messed up - gushers with a sour metallic taste.

I did learn, however, that if the spigot leaks when you have a full bottlijg bucket, put another bucket under the bottling bucket and just let it leak. Better to lose 2-3 bottles to the leak than to lose the whole batch to an infection.

It's not totally the same, but my first batch i stuck my arm into the water in my fermenter (Mr. Beer) to stop a leak. i then added the wort on top of it, pitched the yeast, and let it go. needless to say, the beer came out fine. i was pretty clean since i had hospital scrubbed my arms before starting. I think you should be ok as long as you had cleaned your hands before bottling.

You'll have to wait and see...

I dropped a giant paper clip into my bottling bucket once and had to reach in and pull it out. No infection for me, beer came out awesome. My friends did name the beer "Pliny the Paperclip" because of it.

This makes me laugh, I did this years ago on my VERY FIRST BATCH! I was horrified. But it came out fine, and I called it "Arm Sweat Ale". Judging from the speed with which my friends drank it, they had no problem with it either. At the point of bottling, you have alcohol in there, so I think you will be fine unless you had just pulled your arm out of a cow pie. ;)

Did the same exact thing. I put my arm in sanitizer for 30 seconds and held my breath and put my arm in. No infection beer turned out great. Like said previous you have alcohol in there and that kills a lot of little nasties

LOL... you put your arm in the bottling bucket huh? Try sticking your whole hairy arm in the sweet wort after pitching your yeast to fish out a stupid airlock grommet. Yes chances are you're fine, chill bra RDWHAHB

If (when) this happens to me, I think I will try to sanitize a large plastic bag and put my arm in it to reach into the bucket.

Back