Possible infection? Can anything be done?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellbus

Reaction score
I brewed a pumpkin ale last night (all grain). I had a yeast starter, which when I put it in I thought "That doesn't look right", but due to too many "samples" of other beers, I went ahead and put it in.

The yeast starter had large bubbles in it, similar to the picture attached.

I pitched the yeast yesterday at about 9 am (about 12 hours ago), and so far there is no yeast activity that I can see yet.

I've attached a photo of the only bubbles in the batch, and they don't look too friendly. Is there anything I can do at this point, save for praying?

photo.jpg

Can't see real well in the pic,but I'm concerned about the white curly strips floating just under the surface. Some look like cold break (wet popcorn lookin stuff),but the strips breaking up look likean infection...?

Looks normal to me. And please note that 1) There's a stick at the top of the beginner's forum that mentions quite clearly that fermentation can take up to 72 hours to get going. 2)Airlock activity or lack of is not a good way to judge fermrmentation. Some airlocks don't bubble at all, or stop and start for various non-feremntation reasons.

Thanks guys. I should have noticed the sticky, sorry about that. I was just worried because the yeast starter I pitched looked strange (large bubbles, similar to some of the infection pics), but smelled fine.

I just needed to be patient. I think the fermentation got off to a slow start because I had some trouble with the yeast starter (I learned not to violently shake the slant to loosen up yeast at the bottom the hard way).

It looks like it is going fine now. As always, all of you have been very helpful! Thank you again.

Latest posts

Back