Possible infection BEFORE fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwb445

Reaction score
Hey guys - first time posting on the forum. I just finished brewing a batch and while pulling my running out of the fermenter, I accidentally submerged my hand in the wort.

It may be fine, but I am curious, is there a way to determine is a batch is infected BEFORE fermentation?

Thanks guys - Scott

No way to know. Only time will tell......chances are low as long as you didn't touch something just crazy off the wall with your hand. Ive had the transfer tube fall outta the carboy hit the side and the ground while transferring to the fermenter. My reaction was to grab it and shove it back in the carboy, and that beer turned out fine. So don't worry.

No great way to determine if it's infected besides letting it progress. Most likely your beer will be just fine and not infected unless you think you had really dirty hands. I know that I end up washing my hands frequently during a brew day.

I think it should be fine, I did have my hands in star San at the beginning of the transfer.

I think it should be fine, I did have my hands in star San at the beginning of the transfer.

You'll be fine. I actually starsan my hand when pulling the hop bag and squeeze it using my sanitized hand on every batch I brew - no issues whatsoever.

You should be fine. We don't brew beer in grade A laminar flow, there's always going to be bacteria in our beer. The best way to control its growth is by pitching with healthy yeast at the right pitch rate. So as long as you treated your yeast right, shouldn't be a big deal.

Back