Portland thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should. Their selection and pricing are good, and they're good people too.

I don't know if Ecliptic Brewing is on your radar, but they're definitely worth a visit. Very good food, solid beers, and there's a "Kids" section on the menu so I assume they tick the "family friendly" box as well.
Ecliptic is on my radar. Thank you for reminding me.

Coming up this weekend. Not super beercentric but probably hitting up De Garde, Cascade, and Hair of the Dog.

Coming up this weekend. Not super beercentric but probably hitting up De Garde, Cascade, and Hair of the Dog.

De Garde is about a 1.5 hour drive from Portland, so if you make that part of the excursion (which I completely recommend), your trip will end up being somewhat beercentric. Enjoy!

I sold the gf on it by going to the cheese factory as well.

Could you sell her on the air museum as well? Because that **** is cash.

Also, if you take the 26 across to Seaside, then the 101 down to Tillamook, you'll get to see what is quite possibly the most beautiful stretch of road in the world: highway 101 between Cannon Beach and Tillamook. It's longer than the 6 (which is also a beautiful drive, but no more so than the 26), but SO WORTH IT.

Also, if you take the 26 across to Seaside, then the 101 down to Tillamook, you'll get to see what is quite possibly the most beautiful stretch of road in the world: highway 101 between Cannon Beach and Tillamook. It's longer than the 6 (which is also a beautiful drive, but no more so than the 26), but SO WORTH IT.
Trying to convince her of taking the drive. Seems easy enough. I'll file a report on Monday/Tuesday...

Ended up doing the drive which was quite nice. Views would have been better had the weather not been total **** the entire weekend. Stopped off at some nice beaches (Hug Beach?) and got to listen to the deep Everclear cut "Nehalem" while driving through the town.

De Garde was real cool and met some great people. Standing in another line for a release in the rain wasn't so fun, but the payoff was worth it.

I really liked Hair of the Dog for their vintage bottle options. Very reasonable and a nice unique option. Cascade was good too, the highlight being a draft only release "Pater." I posted the overall haul on the Hauls thread.

Thanks for the tips, guys.

Ended up doing the drive which was quite nice. Views would have been better had the weather not been total **** the entire weekend. Stopped off at some nice beaches (Hug Beach?) and got to listen to the deep Everclear cut "Nehalem" while driving through the town.

De Garde was real cool and met some great people. Standing in another line for a release in the rain wasn't so fun, but the payoff was worth it.

I really liked Hair of the Dog for their vintage bottle options. Very reasonable and a nice unique option. Cascade was good too, the highlight being a draft only release "Pater." I posted the overall haul on the Hauls thread.

Thanks for the tips, guys.

I just had Pater and it was the most sour Cascade beer I've ever had, and therefore one of the most sour beers I've ever had. Really awesome.

Hi, I will be arriving in your fair city of Portland this Saturday, July 12th for a week and I'll have some saisons from Hill Farmstead, which you might of heard of, and some APA, IPA and DIPA from my local brewery Tree House Brewing Co. which you may not have heard of.

I'll be staying in the Pearl district and making the rounds around various establishments (The Puckerfest looks fun). Not sure if any places allow you to open your own bottles for sharing but I'm also up for a trade if you were looking for something (sorry, no Heady Topper is making this trip). My first time to Portland and looking forward it!

hey all, if anyone is going to Tillamook this Saturday and has an extra spot in their car, i'm looking for a ride from/back to PDX. i can offer cash, buy you a few pours, a bottle from SARA, etc. thanks!

I'll be in Portland August 7-10 if anyone wants to meet up for beers. I'm definitely making a trip out to De Garde if they are open that weekend if anyone wants to come, I can get a one-day rental at the airport.

I'll be in Portland August 7-10 if anyone wants to meet up for beers. I'm definitely making a trip out to De Garde if they are open that weekend if anyone wants to come, I can get a one-day rental at the airport.

I am MOVING to Portland that weekend(!!) and I plan on going to de Garde probably that Saturday. Not positive yet.

I am MOVING to Portland that weekend(!!) and I plan on going to de Garde probably that Saturday. Not positive yet.

Awesome, I'd love to get together for a beer if you have time (I know how stressful and busy moving can be). Saturday plans look to be De Garde in some form, and Bailey's for their 7th Anniversary party (thanks for the tip-off on that one Shmeal - btw are you going to De Garde that day? Any interest in carpooling?).

I made this Portland beer map in Google since I like to be able to access this sort of thing quickly from my phone while traveling. Critiques/comments/suggestions welcome:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zjpNMnr-vEik.kUGula7kviW8

Awesome, I'd love to get together for a beer if you have time (I know how stressful and busy moving can be). Saturday plans look to be De Garde in some form, and Bailey's for their 7th Anniversary party (thanks for the tip-off on that one Shmeal - btw are you going to De Garde that day? Any interest in carpooling?).

I made this Portland beer map in Google since I like to be able to access this sort of thing quickly from my phone while traveling. Critiques/comments/suggestions welcome:

Was lucky enough to be in town for Bailey's 6th last year. It should not be missed. My rec is to get their on the early side so you can get seating. I've never seen so many BA beers in one place outside of FoBAB.

I just returned from a Portland beer trip last weekend. Your map looks good, I hit most of those spots and was very happy with them.

How long are you in town for because that seems like an awful lot to try to hit if you're just there for a weekend (and going to Degarde on a Saturday). Over a long Fri-Sun weekend I was able to do HoD, Upright, APEX, the Commons, Beer Mongers, Cascade, & Deschutes and that was a jam packed weekend.

Also make sure you check the hours at a lot of these places.
For example HoD is closed on Mondays.
Upright is usually only open in the evenings on Thurs/Friday 5-9pm then only open in the afternoon on Sat/Sun.
The Commons is only open Thurs-Sun with similar hours to Upright

I just returned from a Portland beer trip last weekend. Your map looks good, I hit most of those spots and was very happy with them.

How long are you in town for because that seems like an awful lot to try to hit if you're just there for a weekend (and going to Degarde on a Saturday). Over a long Fri-Sun weekend I was able to do HoD, Upright, APEX, the Commons, Beer Mongers, Cascade, & Deschutes and that was a jam packed weekend.

Also make sure you check the hours at a lot of these places.
For example HoD is closed on Mondays.
Upright is usually only open in the evenings on Thurs/Friday 5-9pm then only open in the afternoon on Sat/Sun.
The Commons is only open Thurs-Sun with similar hours to Upright

Just to be clear, that wasn't intended to be a map of all the places I want to hit in one weekend, rather just a semi-permanent resource for myself or anyone else to consult for locations or as a memory jog. I've actually already been to most of them already (lived in Oregon for 6 years) but obviously many warrant return visits.

Good suggestion about adding days/hours to the description when a place is selected, I'll do that next.

EDIT: updated the map with days/hours of operation. I used the shortest notation possible for ease of reading on a phone etc but it should make pretty good sense.

Last edited:
Yes. I will also be around during that time. So will blue_bleeder, maybe a good multi-coast meeting is in order? I am down to head out to de Garde on the weekend as well - and can split the cost of a rental.

In Portland, Aug 15 - 20 and hitting up Cascade, HotD, Upright, and Commons for breweries and Apex and Bailey's.

Add Breaksde to the list? Any chance Passionfruit Sour Berliner will still be available?

In Portland, Aug 15 - 20 and hitting up Cascade, HotD, Upright, and Commons for breweries and Apex and Bailey's.

Add Breaksde to the list? Any chance Passionfruit Sour Berliner will still be available?
Add Breakside and Gigantic if you can. They might have Passionfruit Sour on tap even if they don't have bottles. I had a killer sour IPA from them, as well, and a really nice DIPA, a rarity in Portland.

I leave on the 15th but not until like 10pm on the red-eye, when do you get there? Maybe we can grab beers in the afternoon or something.

Anyone around downtown Portland this afternoon? I have a work lunch at my conference, then plan to hit Bailey's and maybe Deschutes before heading back to my hotel. Bringing some beers over to Tin Bucket later tonight to share with box_social and whoever else is there.

Anyone around downtown Portland this afternoon? I have a work lunch at my conference, then plan to hit Bailey's and maybe Deschutes before heading back to my hotel. Bringing some beers over to Tin Bucket later tonight to share with box_social and whoever else is there.

what time for tin bucket? I'll probably be in that area anyway and might be able to swing by.

Back