Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-urb

Reaction score
Hey all, new all grain brewer trying to get his feet wet. My buddy and I have made 6 batches now and are wanting to try a good hearty porter. We've mostly done Pale ales and IPAs that we bought from Austin Homebrew. Our last batch was pretty much a recreation of our favorite so far by going to the local homebrew and picking out the ingredients from the Austin recipe and giving it a couple minor adjustments. Anyone willing to share a recipe with us? or just give us an idea of a proper grain bill for a good porter? Thanks in advance.

I like to keep my porter pretty simple 8 - 10% crystal and 8 - 10% chocolate or roasted barley (or a mix). Add pale ale malt to hit your desired gravity, and go for a BU:GU of .55 - .60. I like the flavor of the dark malt over hops in a porter, but a 1/2 oz for 15 min and a 1/2 oz at flame out gives a nice kick.

Mid range crystals 60L - 80L works best I think. 120L might be good, but cut back on the amount. I like English hops in a porter, and usually use EKG or Fuggles in mine. I think they work better in a dark roasty beer than say Cascades, but to each his own.

Hey all, new all grain brewer trying to get his feet wet. My buddy and I have made 6 batches now and are wanting to try a good hearty porter. We've mostly done Pale ales and IPAs that we bought from Austin Homebrew. Our last batch was pretty much a recreation of our favorite so far by going to the local homebrew and picking out the ingredients from the Austin recipe and giving it a couple minor adjustments. Anyone willing to share a recipe with us? or just give us an idea of a proper grain bill for a good porter? Thanks in advance.

An easy one that is really good is Jamil's Robust Porter. Google it. Killer Porter IMO.

Back