Porter/Stout Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopbrad

Reaction score
I am working on making my first stout/porter. I dont really want to go imperial but something in the 6.5-7% range would be nice. and would like to hear some suggestions.

i live in nicaragua and the only ingredient i have found here is something between an Amber and Dark LME.

I brewed a 5 gallon test batch with 1 container of it(7.75 lbs) and lightly hopped it to get an idea of what im working with and it ain't bad. nice malt/caramel flavor, deep amber in color, no roasty flavors. a pretty standard amber ale.
The website says its mashed with caramel/crystal malts, my guess would be 75 or maybe even some 90.

my last trip to the US i brought down 10 lbs of specialty grains, 10 lbs of hops and some dried yeast. i have the following:

GRAINS:
chocolate malt
brown malt
black patent
roasted barley

HOPS:
Cascade
Columbus
Centennial
Falconers Flight
Chinook
Galaxy
Kent Goldings
Warrior
Nugget
Willamette

Yeasts:
S-05
S-04

looking for something with a nice mouthfeel and body, Chocolate and Coffee notes.
we have great coffee down here so i was considering using some coffee too. but might save that for after i figure this recipe out.

suggestions on head retention would be nice too. I can get barley, pearl barely, oats and just about any non malted grain at the market. (i forgot to bring down carapils)

My thoughts were this:
8-9 lbs LME
1 lb brown sugar
4 oz choco malt
4 oz roasted barley
2 oz black patent
Hops
.5 oz Nugget 60 min or Warrior
.5 oz willamette 15 min
.5 oz willamette 5 min

Back