Porter recipe assistance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicLife

Reaction score
Hey all,
Looking to make this porter next. Id like to turn it more into a vanilla porter and was wondering about how much is recommended to add to 2ndary. Also i was thinking of adding some light dme to up the abv and maybe adding some lactose. Also wouldn't mind some feedback on that lol, still new so this is the first batch im really attempting to modify.

My method is BIAB.

Appreciate any assistance!

Attachments

• 20201221_192641.jpg
    20201221_192641.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
Recipe looks fine to me for an English Porter or as a Porter base to add some gravity and additional flavorings to.

How far do you want to boost the gravity? Up to around 1.065-1.070?

Vanilla beans* are best pre-soaked in a mason jar with Vodka or higher proof Everclear while you're fermenting the batch. Count a week to 10 days for steeping your tincture so try to time it being done at the end of your fermentation.
When fermentation is done add the tincture, bean pieces and vanilla pulp to your (primary) fermenter for a few days to a week to coincide with the conditioning/cleanup phase, then bottle/keg. No need to go through a secondary, unless you want to bulk age for several months.

* You need to prepare the vanilla beans before soaking (making a tincture).
Cut them lengthwise with a sharp knife, scrape all the pulp and seeds out with the sharp side of the knife and add to your mason jar with Vodka/Everclear. Then cut the skins into smaller pieces and add all those too. Screw the lid on and keep at room temps or a little higher, such as on top of your refrigerator, for a week to 10 days.

Options:
Use Bourbon instead, if you want.
Add a few or more wood chips to it, if you want some wood character.

Your recipe looks fine to me. I don't think it needs any lactose.

I've had better luck with black patent malt than with chocolate malt; my best porter so far has been 90% pale malt (either pale ale malt or 2-row), 5% light crystal malt (20L or 40L) and 5% black patent. I've gone as high as 6.5% black patent and there was nothing wrong with it, but dropping back to 5% was better. Chocolate malt can be kind of harsh (it really is chocolatey, though)

Use 100 proof or 101 bourbon or rye whiskey instead of vodka if you're making your own vanilla extract. Bourbon has vanilla-y notes already so you'll get a head start that way. Or rye just because I like rye :D

Cool i appreciate the feedback. Recipe is from my lhbs store so i wasnt as much questioning it vs just posting for reference. I like a vanilla porter but they didnt have one 😅

I was aiming for abv of 6% at least but ill go thr route for the vanilla beans. I had no idea that was the process for them lol i have vodka on hand but my dad might not let his bourbon go 😂

Latest posts

Back