Porter + Lactose = ?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bondra76

Reaction score
I have a beer that I love and have made several times - a chocolate coconut porter. On the last batch I decided to make it a little creamier and put some lactose into the batch.

Does this make it a stout? It probably doesn't make it "anything" in BCJP guidelines, but I am curious on your thoughts.

I like the beer's tastes enough to enter it into a contest, but I am sure I will get just blasted on having lactose in a porter and not having it true to style. I don't know what I'd then enter it under.

It makes it a "milk porter".

Seriously, though...I wouldn't worry about it. Regardless of whether you enter it as a stout or porter, it will probably be penalized more for the chocolate and coconut than the lactose.

I agree with Doug. It's either a "milk porter" or "sweet porter," and there is no category for it. I think without the chocolate and coconut, you could just enter it into one of the porter categories and not mention the lactose and you'd be fine. It would probably work well in a robust porter as long as the recipe is otherwise to style, as I doubt the sweetness from the lactose would hurt. As a "chocolate coconut porter" though, it would be a category 23A (specialty beer) brew anyway.

Without the coconut or the chocolate it could easily become a milk stout.

If the competition is under the 2015 BJCP style guidelines, then it would be Category 34.

Thanks. I think I'd avoid the competitions if that's the case.

Appreciate everyone's feedback. I knew it was one of those "strange"/off beers that probably wouldn't have a home. I'm going to keep on brewing it for myself but will probably hold off on the competitions.

Back