portable electric mash rims

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve3730

Reaction score
I haven't had much experience with electric besides my still has a 5500w element with a SCR controller. But I'd like to know if I took an element and put it in a small vessel and circulated worth from my igloo mash tun into the vessel with the element controller by a PID and back into the mash tun. Sort of like a portable RIMs system. Reason I'm looking to do this is I brew at a club that is a share space. So looking for something portable to hold my mash temps better and do step mashs things like that

An in-line heater/controller, pump, and mash/lauter tun is a typical setup for a RIMS system. An in-line heater is basically the "vessel and element" you are describing and has become one of the more common building blocks for a RIMS system. Basically just a short section of 2" pipe with the needed ports for an inlet, outlet, heating element and temperature probe.

They are fairly lightweight, portable and can be plumbed with quick connect hose fittings for easy setup and tear down.

Last edited:
An in-line heater/controller, pump, and mash/lauter tun is a typical setup for a RIMS system. An in-line heater is basically the "vessel and element" you are describing and has become one of the more common building blocks for a RIMS system. Basically just a short section of 2" pipe with the needed ports for an inlet, outlet, heating element and temperature probe.

They are fairly lightweight, portable and can be plumbed with quick connect hose fittings for easy setup and tear down.
Easy enough to build at home? I already have a pump. I work for a place that sells stainless pipe so can easily make the vessel. I'd just have to buy an element and pid. 4000w element big enough? And the probe would go in the mash tun not in line correct?

Easy enough to build at home? I already have a pump. I work for a place that sells stainless pipe so can easily make the vessel. I'd just have to buy an element and pid. 4000w element big enough? And the probe would go in the mash tun not in line correct?
Probe MUST be placed at the outlet of the RIMS tube, and in the flow. Otherwise you risk overheating the wort (denatured enzymes) or scorching the wort.

Brew on :mug:

Hey Steve,

I used to brew at CHAOS in Chicago with a RIMS-in-a-toolbox and a plastic mashtun. I used a 120v heating element in the brewershardware tri-clamp RIMS tube. I think Bobby at brewhardware.com and Jaybird at Norcal also offer a RIMS tube that is roughly similar. Let me know if you have any questions about my setup.

I actually still have my PID kicking around. PM me if you have any interest in that.

Probe MUST be placed at the outlet of the RIMS tube, and in the flow. Otherwise you risk overheating the wort (denatured enzymes) or scorching the wort.

Brew on :mug:

Thanks after some research i've realized this. I'm going to put the probe a couple inches from the end of the element and where the tube turns to go to the output

Ideally the temp probe should be as close to the tip of the element as possible.

I have a tabletop portable RIMs. I use it for other things, so it has both a DS18B20 and an RTD sensor.

Attachments

• 20190418_093751.jpg
    20190418_093751.jpg
    464.6 KB · Views: 35
interesting I was thinking the heat from the element could give it a false reading but I trust everyone's knowledge here. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back