Popular Black IPAs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwhite94621

Reaction score
I've recently been thinking about brewing a black IPA. I am looking for a few popular black IPAs I should taste to get some inspiration, figure out what I like and want to imitate.

What's your favorite black IPA, and what do you like about it?

I refer to Black IPA as India Oxymoron Ale. I just wanted to share that.

Founders Project Pam is an excellent beer, but I don't know how easy it is to find. Founders Dark Penance is another one...there's a lot going on in that beer, plus it has a cool label.

blackbeerfriday.jpg

@Gerry_P - I love that name. India Oxymoron Ale should be the new official designation.

Wookey Jack is the pinnacle, in my opinion. Rye makes a great addition to the style and the roast is adequate (but doesn't overpower the hops) and tends toward the roasted barley and chocolate malt flavors I prefer rather than astringent black patent.

I'd also say Back in Black is a solid option - it was my first example of the style but I still think of it as a sort of standard bearer as long as you get it fresh. It's a solid balance of mild roast and IPA hoppiness, and again doesn't err toward those black patent flavors.

"Cascadian Dark Ale" is another term for this style, FTNITK.

Last edited:
Agreed with FatDragon. Wookey Jack is where it's at! its definitely hands down my favorite black IPA! there's quite a bit of information out there on clone recipes too. research that, and give that a good place to start! ...and go drink one if you have access to FW:)!

@Gerry_P - I love that name. India Oxymoron Ale should be the new official designation.

Wookey Jack is the pinnacle, in my opinion. Rye makes a great addition to the style and the roast is adequate (but doesn't overpower the hops) and tends toward the roasted barley and chocolate malt flavors I prefer rather than astringent black patent.

I'd also say Back in Black is a solid option - it was my first example of the style but I still think of it as a sort of standard bearer as long as you get it fresh. It's a solid balance of mild roast and IPA hoppiness, and again doesn't err toward those black patent flavors.

I'm not a fan of a lot of the beer coming out of Genesee, but their Genesee Brewhouse pilot batch series came out with a black ipa that is fantastic. NAB has pretty good distribution so you should be able to find it almost anywhere.

Agreed with FatDragon. Wookey Jack is where it's at! its definitely hands down my favorite black IPA! there's quite a bit of information out there on clone recipes too. research that, and give that a good place to start! ...and go drink one if you have access to FW:)!
It's a shame they're discontinuing it.:(

My favorites are:
Lagunitas Night Time Ale
Boulevard Grainstorm Black Rye IPA
Shmaltz Death Hoppy Black Ale

It's a shame they're discontinuing it.:(

I heard that too. I think they're suppose to replace it with another BIPA (that work?).

I recently found it in a super expensive bottle shop but bought it anyway just in case Firestone drops it entirely. Very very good beer.

Heavy seas black cannon, I believe it's a seasonal beer out now. It's a great balance between dark and malty like a stout but fresh and hoppy like a great IPA. One of my favorite beers.

Back