Poppet valves that don't come out of keg post...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C2H5OH

Reaction score
I just bought a new Corny-keg, and the poppet valves are a little different from what I am used to seeing. (Sorry I have no photos) The "legs" of the poppet valve seem longer than usual and they are "locked" into a rib on the inside of the post. Are these posts not meant to be disassembled? Does anyone have a similar set-up that could offer some input? (Cleaning/disassembly...)

Thanks

I have the same issue on two of my kegs.

One method I use to clean the posts and poppets is to fill the keg with cleaner and/or sanitizer and use co2 pressure. Just like dispensing beer, but with cleaner.

If I want to give it that extra cleaning I use a dental pick and gently pop one leg of the poppet over the lip at a time. Once all 3 legs are over the ridge it falls right out. It also pushes in pretty easy as well.

Which one is it?

K101.JPG

K102.JPG

K103.JPG

Personally, I very rarely remove the posts on my kegs. I simply fill the keg with cleaner, then pop the poppet, and let the cleaner come through, and set for a while. Unless you have an infection issue, it's not necessary to dissemble very often.

I have the same issue on two of my kegs.

One method I use to clean the posts and poppets is to fill the keg with cleaner and/or sanitizer and use co2 pressure. Just like dispensing beer, but with cleaner.

If I want to give it that extra cleaning I use a dental pick and gently pop one leg of the poppet over the lip at a time. Once all 3 legs are over the ridge it falls right out. It also pushes in pretty easy as well.

That is a great idea. My wife is going to the dentist tomorrow, so I'll see if she can acquire a pick from him.

:mug:

Which one is it?

K101.JPG

K102.JPG

K103.JPG

Hey Chris, I really liked the videos you put out on Youtube! Very informative and very well made. I especially liked your refrigerator drilling technique to avoid drilling through the lines.

With regards to the poppet valve; It kind of looks like "option C", but I'd even say the legs might even be longer than what is depicted in the photo. Like the previous poster stated, I think using a dental tool may be the only option.(Unless you have any other thoughts on it.)

Thanks for all your efforts/information here and on Youtube.

:mug:

If you got the keg used then the wrong poppets were installed in the keg. I had the same problem with a couple of my kegs. Some one had replace the poppets and didn't realize that they are not pressed into the post, but held in place by the diptube once assembled.
To remove the poppets place the post on the counter and use a small pointed object like a screwdriver to push down on the tip off the poppet until it pops out. There are different poppets for different manufacturers of kegs. Corneilus, Challenger and Firestone. If your LHBS cant supply the correct poppets check with Northern Brewer IIRC.

I had a leaky"IN" poppet. After it was disconnected it would hiss until you pushed it around a little. The last time I used it I force carbed it and putt it in the kegerator. I guess when it got cold it allowed the poppet to drop down and after a week (off the gas) it had lost all its pressure.

Today I filled it again and put a little keg lube on head of the poppet and on the little pintle hickey in the quick connect. After I force carbed it it seemed to holding pressure fine.

If you got the keg used then the wrong poppets were installed in the keg. I had the same problem with a couple of my kegs. Some one had replace the poppets and didn't realize that they are not pressed into the post, but held in place by the diptube once assembled.

I recently purchased 2 new post with the poppets installed in them and they WERE this way. I kind of liked it.

To remove the poppets place the post on the counter and use a small pointed object like a screwdriver to push down on the tip off the poppet until it pops out. There are different poppets for different manufacturers of kegs. Corneilus, Challenger and Firestone. If your LHBS cant supply the correct poppets check with Northern Brewer IIRC.
I don't question your experience, however, there are keg posts that are designed the way the OP stated. Removing the poppet can be a challange as "pushing" them out will not work unless you don't care about damaging the poppet and the post.

Indeed, with that particular design, the poppet latches onto a ledge inside the post.

D49b.jpg

The only way to get them out is to pry the legs off of the ledge.

C2H5OH,

Your LHBS should be able to get replacement poppets for that post if he uses Foxx Equipment as one of his vendors. Most of them do. Foxx carries both the poppets and replacement posts in stock.

Hope this helps.

Back