Poor Palate any chance for a BJCP?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, my palate is pretty terrible (I think). I can only notice flavors when some one points them out to me.

Examples:

I brewed a vanilla porter, I didn't want to submit it to a competition because I couldn't taste any vanilla. Well, the feedback that I got was that it's dominated by vanilla. After reading that, yep I can notice the vanilla.

I submitted an IPA and I thought was too citrusy, the response I got back was that there is a strong piney flavor/aroma. :confused: now I notice it.

Is this just a training issue. Will I be able to become a competent beer judge?

In my opinion: YES, you can become a competent beer judge with the proper amount of training. It takes a lot of dedication, which in this field means sitting down with style examples and drinking them alongside the BJCP notes. It takes time, patience, and concentration, but you get to drink beer!

I have been eying the BJCP program myself for about 2 years, and have been in training that whole time. I still don't think my palette is where it needs to be...I have trouble differentiating certain off flavors and need more practice with hop varieties. Could be another 5 or even 10 years for me, but I'm happily along for the ride.

Best of luck, and happy tasting!

Although the BJCP program is not a goal of mine, I know that my palate is limited, and would like to know what others think of my beer. Otherwise I don't know what my issues are that need improvement.
I'm guessing I should take some of my brews to a local homebrew club to get honest opinions.
The only issue with that is I am moving in a week, no brewing for me for awhile. I digress.

When it comes to tasting you need to train your palate. When someone is sitting there pointing out flavors while you drink can greatly help. I myself couldn't pick out everything but over the years have been working on it and my palate has for much better. Just keep at it and you'll be tasting better.

Any palate can be developed and trained, some just take more work than others. I say go for it. One thing I try to do whenever I'm trying something new, is to focus on individual flavors and try to identify and describe them. Even if it's just a meal at home that my wife made, I try to pinpoint anything I can. That's actually the best way to develop your palate, since you know all of the ingredients, and can work on differentiating flavors.

Back