Poor mans kegging, bad idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juslod

Reaction score
Before I start I want to say I'm a relatively new brewer, still doing extract and have been only bottling up to now. This is maybe my 5th or 6th brew and I decided to experience a little...

I can't afford a full keg setup right now and I plan to gather pieces as I go. Since it is getting colder here (Delaware, 50-60's day, 30's night) and I had an idea to leave a keg outside in the garage away from the sun and it should be close enough to drinking temperature. What I decided to do was buy a keg and rack a Red Ale into it and I purchased a portable co2 charger to try my luck.

I used corn sugar to prime the keg and I just set it outside tonight tonight, hoping that it will be cold enough to enjoy on Thanksgiving day!

I assume I need to bleed off the extra pressure before attaching the gas / liquid fittings, then after everything is attached hit it with some co2 so I can pour a beer.

I seek advice from the pros, does anyone think this is a bad idea?

The only issue I see with priming with corn sugar is that it will take a couple of weeks at room temperature, preferable 70 degrees or higher, to carb up the keg just like with bottles. In the garage, it'll NEVER carb up without a co2 tank.

Sounds like it might already be carbonated. If it is, then this might work. If your CO2 charger has a regulator, set it to like 12 PSI and hook it up. Pulling the PRV on the lid of the keg would prevent any blowback into the regulator/gas supply. Might be worth a shot. It's hard to say, given you have no previous keg experience. It could work, but it could take some tweaking to get it right.

I think your biggest problem is that it takes a few days in the fridge for a keg to be fully cooled down. But on the other hand that just might be another roadbump on your path to pouring from a keg tomorrow.

I'm interested to see how this turns out.

I have let it carbonate at room temperature for two weeks, I know it takes around three for bottles to carb, but I used 5 oz of corn sugar not knowing it takes less for priming a keg. I figured with the extra pressure in a shorter amount of time it might be decently carbed to drink...

The pressure has built up enough to seal the lid, when I quickly open the release the pressure from the valve it emits a loud hissing noise...

My portable co2 unit doesn't have a valve, so it is going to be guess work.. It is supposed to get to about 33 degrees here tonight so it might cool a littler quicker than a fridge, but even around 50-55 degrees I could drink the beer as long as it has good flavor...

I'm willing to give it a try and I'll post my results tomorrow! It would be great if I had a Thanksgiving treat of beer on tap! :mug:

This morning I connected my picnic tap and portable co2 charger up to my keg and dispensed a nice beer with about 2" of a creamy foam head... The beer could use a little more carbonation but it is good temperature and tastes good! I should have left it sit longer but I'm excited to have beer today..

If I decide I want more carbonation after today would a 12g or 16g cartridge of co2 be able to apply enough PSI to add more carbonation?

This morning I connected my picnic tap and portable co2 charger up to my keg and dispensed a nice beer with about 2" of a creamy foam head... The beer could use a little more carbonation but it is good temperature and tastes good! I should have left it sit longer but I'm excited to have beer today..

If I decide I want more carbonation after today would a 12g or 16g cartridge of co2 be able to apply enough PSI to add more carbonation?

No, I don't think those little cartridges can really carb up a beer. You can try it, of course! Aside from using up more cartridges, I don't see a downside to trying.

Sorry for the misunderstanding- I took your post to mean you immediately put the keg outside.

Glad you have beer today! I'll be doing something similar in February. I'll be taking some kegs of beer with me to our month's rental, but not a fridge so the beer will be on the deck in a cooler with the picnic tap set up. Sort of a cheaper way to do it, and still have my homebrew!

This is how my LHBS suggested I do it. Prime the beer in the keg and give it enough CO2 from the cartridge to seal the lid. Then let it sit for 2-3 weeks to carbonate. After that time, release the pressure and then use the CO2 cartridge to dispense the beer! I am going to be trying this myself soon.

No, I don't think those little cartridges can really carb up a beer. You can try it, of course! Aside from using up more cartridges, I don't see a downside to trying.

Sorry for the misunderstanding- I took your post to mean you immediately put the keg outside.

Glad you have beer today! I'll be doing something similar in February. I'll be taking some kegs of beer with me to our month's rental, but not a fridge so the beer will be on the deck in a cooler with the picnic tap set up. Sort of a cheaper way to do it, and still have my homebrew!

That is ok, my first post was pretty vague. The beer is carbed a little but not as much as I was hoping for.. I knew I was rushing the carbing process though because it was only at room temperature for two weeks.

I hit it with a cartridge of co2 outside, hopefully it carbs up to drinking levels.. If not I'll have to get a co2 tank earlier than I thought :D

thanks for posting this.. Im interested in trying as well. Got a free "loaner" corny, and i want to see how cheaply I can use it for a garage dispensary... or to take to a party.

thanks for posting this.. Im interested in trying as well. Got a free "loaner" corny, and i want to see how cheaply I can use it for a garage dispensary... or to take to a party.

It worked great to dispense the beer... I would recommend priming a keg with sugar and leaving it sit for at least 3 weeks. This was was just under 2 weeks, which I know is short but I was too exited to drink it for Thanksgiving!

The only way you will get more cabonation is to bring it inside and let it sit another couple of weeks to carb at room temps.

Those little CO2 cartridges are just for dispensing.

Even using a big CO2 tank to carb it more would take a few days.

Yeah a pound of co2 to carb a keg is way too much for what I'm trying to do. Guess I'll pull it inside so it can carb more...

It looks like I may be getting a co2 tank as a Christmas gift so if this doesn't work I'll let the keg condition until then.

Back