Poor carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbbblaine

Reaction score
Some of the beers I have made don't seem to carbonate very well...

It seems like the ones that I bottled within a couple weeks of fermentation carbonated pretty well, but I recently made a CDA that sat in the fermenter for a good couple of months before being bottled. When I was racking to the bottling bucket, I added about 4g of US-05 yeast pre-hydrated in some water just to make sure there were viable yeast in the beer for carbonating. However, even a month after bottling day, the carbonation seems very poor. The head only reaches less than a quarter inch, and that's with a very rough pour.

Before the CDA, I made an ESB that still barely has any head on it (a bit more than the CDA), even though it was only in the fermenter for about a month total and calculated for 2.5 volumes of CO2. I did not add yeast when bottling that one, just the CDA because I thought it would help.

I calculated the amount of priming sugar to add the same way as I have done in previous brews, and calculated it for 2.5 volumes of CO2.

What could be the cause of this? Do I need to add more yeast when bottling?

I keep them at about 70-72F.

Before opening one to drink, I refrigerate for 2 or 3 days at least.

Back