Pomegranate Wine... success?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Effington

Reaction score
I am inspired to make a pomegranate wine; I'd like to do a 3 gallon batch with juice or fresh fruit. People have posted some basic recipes and info on making pom wine, but I have yet to hear of any success stories with complete recipes.

So I was wondering if anyone has made a successful batch of pom wine and if they have a recipe I can reference to come up with something of my own.

I'd be happy to post info I find here. It seems pomegranate's are in season now, so it would be great to come up with a fresh fruit or fruit + juice batch.

Here are 3 recipes I found online (without steps for simplicity sake):

1. Wine Recipe

# 10-15 ripe pomegranates
# 1/2 lb. barley
# 3 lb. granulated sugar
# 1 lemon, juiced
# 1 gallon water
# wine yeast and nutrient

2. Wine Recipe

# 10 pomegranates
# 1/2 lb barley
# 2 1/4 lb sugar
# 2 tsp citric acid
# 1 gallon water
# yeast and nutrient

3. Wine Recipe

# 6 pomegranates
# 1 pound of raisins
# 4 cups of granulated sugar
# 2 teaspoons of acid blend
# 1 teaspoon of pectic enzyme
# 1 teaspoon of yeast nutrient
# 1 campden tablet
# 1 package of wine yeast
# 12 cups water

The recipes with barley call for boiling it in the water for 5 minutes before straining and adding to the carboy. Another recipe says to simmer flaked barley for 6 hours before adding to the carboy. What I haven't found is much justification for doing this, but I suppose it would give it some body and toasty undertones.

Well, if it's just barley, it's there for body. Boiled barley makes for nice slimy soup.

Mmm, slimy soup.

Seems like it couldn't hurt... some recipes also suggest adding grape juice.

I made Joe's grape mead and then I did another batch with pomegranate juice. I am about to rack it to secondary so I am not sure how it will come out.

I made Joe's grape mead and then I did another batch with pomegranate juice. I am about to rack it to secondary so I am not sure how it will come out.

Let me know how it goes; do you have the recipe? :mug:

I did an all pom wine, just yeast and although it is drinkable far from a fine wine. It is too, well I guess sour on its own is the right description?

I made Apfelwein substituting 1 gallon of Apple Juice with 1 gallon of Pomegranate/Blueberry Juice. It's drinkable but VERY tart. I probably should have sweetened it up a little to take off some of the bite but I didn't know how tart it was going to be beforehand.

Just my 2 cents, but good luck!

Back