Pomegranate- Black Cherry Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyleaubu

Reaction score
Just a simple 1 gal batch of cider that I started today just for the fun of it.
So here's my super easy recipe

2L Pomegranate Juice
1L Black Cherry Juice
1 12oz can Frozen Apple-Cherry concentrate
1/2 tsp Yeast Nutrient
1/2 tsp Yeast Energizer
1/2 tbsp Distillers Yeast

Warm juice and concentrate to around 90°F and add yeast nutrient and energizer. I re hydrated my yeast with a little water at 110°F and 2 tbsp. table sugar. Pitched the yeast and is now in the primary. After a week or two I'll rack to secondary and top up with water to make 1 gallon.

I didnt take a starting gravity on account of my hydrometer being busted into a million pieces. I'm just going to let it ferment out and see what happens. I plan to use honey to back sweeten if I so desire at that point.

The problem I'm having is, I don't know how much bottling sugar to use for carbing or how long to let it carb for.

Any thoughts, suggestions, friendly criticism? I'm ALWAYS open to new ideas and advice.

036.jpg

037.jpg

038.jpg

039.jpg

Sounds good, report back how it is once it's done. I've got one going that i didn't take an OG on, I just wanted to try something and see what happened. I think it's kinda fun to just see how it turns out. Knowing the ABV isn't super important to me most of the time.

Yeah, on cheap experimental batches like this, I don't usually bother with numbers. Although with the distillers yeast, had I been able to read SG, I could've gotten a super high abv.

Ok, so in trying to control the temp of my fermenting cider, I screwed up and got it too hot. :smack: Fermentation ceased. SO... I added a half cup of sugar and a little more distiller's yeast and it fired right back up again. Guess we'll just have a slightly higher ABV. :drunk:

Just bottled this last night with 1oz dextrose. Unfortunately we had a siphoning malfunction and exposed it to a lot of oxygen. Hopefully it's ok. We'll see. I think it'll carb up fast due to the distillers yeast. Had just a couple oz left after bottling. Tasted good. Would make a pretty good wine with a little back sweetening.

Sorry to post on such an old thread. I tried this exact recipe (minus yeast energizer) and like yourself, I never took a reading on it (completely spaced it). After about a month, I opened a bottle and I have zero carbonation (I used the Fermenter's Favorites™ Fizz Drops). I'm curious if I killed the yeast?

However, it tasted like a red wine. It was dry and tarty, but not overwhelming. It was pretty popular. I'm making a second batch in a few weeks and I plan on remembering to take gravity readings.

Photo Mar 04, 8 22 25 PM.jpg

Latest posts

Back