Polypin bag/box for Still Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew Barker

Reaction score
Had plenty of apples from my allotment this year, so should get about 20L of cider.

I plan on bottling most of it, but I also bought a 5L polypin box, as I bought a box of still cider from the shops earlier this year and it was ideal for camping trips, so I'd like to try and replicate it.

My questions for anyone who has used these before are: 1. Do you need to add a little bit of sugar to 'prime' the bag or do you simply put the still cider straight in and screw shut and 2. How long will the cider keep compared to bottling?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

It should work just fine.
Try to keep the air minimized in the bag as you pour from it for best results.

I would be hesitant to prime in the bag.

They sell the bag in a box things for wine, it might be something to consider.

You can keep them for a few months but oxygen gets through the plastic of the bag and it will oxidise fairly quickly.

I think that the polypin containers are made from HDPE, which seems to be undesirable for beer/cider/wine due to its permeability. I think that the bag in a box wine things are made from some sort of Mylar lined material. And are designed for wine use.

Are those polypin boxes a thing in the USA, maybe under a different name?

You can buy the wine bag in a box things on Amazon, but for the money, I'd just look for some 1 gallon jugs on craigslist. Or buy new jugs. Or just get some used kegs.

Back