Poly Bag liners for fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtmetzler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone used a FDA / Food Grade approved poly bag to line fermenting buckets? One would assume that these would allow a no cleaning approach to brewing. These are similar to the bags you would use to line a crock pot to eliminate having to clean when finished.

My only concern is sanitation, would you have to sanitize the bag before using? and what about top seal on fermenting bucket? Has it now been compromised by adding extra material...

Thoughts, comments, personal experiences???

Thanks
Mike

I'd expect the bucket to seal still considering it's a pretty tight fit to begin with and there's a gasket in there. My question is why? I get the intent of "no cleaning brewing" but I don't understand the motivation or the purpose. It's not hard to wash yeast sediment out of a bucket. And if there's krausen on the sides that soaks off easily in the time it takes to sanitize bottles with a little PBW or oxyclean.

I'd expect the bucket to seal still considering it's a pretty tight fit to begin with and there's a gasket in there. My question is why? I get the intent of "no cleaning brewing" but I don't understand the motivation or the purpose. It's not hard to wash yeast sediment out of a bucket. And if there's krausen on the sides that soaks off easily in the time it takes to sanitize bottles with a little PBW or oxyclean.

I agree. Some fellow brewers were looking into to it and I was curious if it really was worth it. I am actually of the mindset it would be harder to sanitize the bag and would not be that much of a benefit. Thanks for the post though, so far you are making me feel more comfortable on my decision to pass on this investment.

There were threads on this a while back. A few people use food grade bags, specifically the turkey roasting bags. I tried them a few times. The problem I encountered is that they leaked every time and not just a little. So, they kind of resulted in more problems than they solved.

Back