Poll - US 05 Temp to avoid blowoff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

With US05, at what temp have you had blowoff

Results are only viewable after voting.

DannyK

Reaction score
I am trying to find a temp to ferment US 05 below which blowoff becomes less likely. Please fill out the poll only if you have good control of fermentation temperature, meaning your thermostat probe is inside the fermenter or taped and insulated on the outside and you have active cooling. For simplicity, I will not consider starter sizes, OG or other variables. Hey, it's my poll and I can do whatever I want with it.
I have to do the poll in two posts to get the results I want. Please post your results in both.
Thank you

I am trying to find a temp to ferment US 05 below which blowoff becomes less likely. Please fill out the poll only if you have good control of fermentation temperature, meaning your thermostat probe is inside the fermentor or taped and insulated on the outside and you have active cooling.
I have to do the poll in two posts to get the results I want. This is part 2.
Thank you

You should be controlling temperature to achieve a desired result in the finished product. e.g. cleaner vs more estery fermentation.

If you want to avoid blow-off, try using fermcap-s.

blowoffs are needed with very healthy viable yeast with an increased fermentation....

why would you want to avoid that....?

you can underpitch and not make a starter but im not sure how far that will get you...

I roll at 62* and blow off almost every batch. 5.5 gals in a 6.5 gal carboy, Williams oxygen stone setup, starters on a stir plate.

Agreed with wierdboy, throw fermcap in there if you want to help lower your chance of blowoff. Otherwise let it ride.

Cooler ferments will typically be less vigorous, but in general, healthy yeast, pitched at the right rate, with proper oxygen supply will go nuts. All of those temps can produce blowoffs if you're doing it properly. Leaving off OG and pitching rate just ensures this poll won't generate any meaningful data- on its best day it would only collect anecdotes. Two surefire ways to prevent blowoff would be to use fermcap S in your primary or get a bigger fermenter with more headspace.

what does blowoff mean anyway? blowoff of what? 5gallons in a 5gallon carboy will blow off a lot more than 5 gallons in a 10 gallon carboy.

also a 1.100 beer is going to "blowoff" more easily than a 1.035 beer.

Us-05 is my main yeast. I've never had a blowoff with it. No matter what temp. Blowoff is not really a matter of temp, it really just a combination of many factors including the grainbill, proteins present, type of yeast, gravity etc. what have you, too many factors to control or stress out about.

I've had maybe 4 blowoffs in hundreds of batches. It's not a given that you can predict a blowoff.

If you're really amped up about it, use exclusively blow off tubes, and/or use fermcap.

Me, if it happens I put a blowoff tube on...If it doesn't it doesn't. It's not something I concern myself with avoiding.

The colder the slower the fermentation so there is less krausen. Obviously if you go too cold you will stall out. But, in all honesty, there are so many variables it makes it hard to get any sort of quantitative data without running a controlled experiment to see how cold US05 will fully ferment out in a carboy while not having more than x inches of krausen. For me, I will put 65 degrees as this is as cold as I will ferment this strain at.

You should use a big enough fermenter so that you don't have problem with blowoff, no matter what the temperature.

The last IIPA I fermented at 58*f reading from the thermo probe still needed a blow off. But, I also fill my 6.5 gallon caribou to 6 gallons to account for trub loss, so temperature isn't going to help me.

My basement stays about 61F. Have used US-05 often, have never had a blowout. I had a MAJOR blowout this Spring with WY1372 on a 2 Brothers Cane & Ebel clone. Took me by surprise. airlock was completely stopped up, bucket lid had a visible dome, that's how much pressure was in that sucker. I yanked out the airlock to relieve the pressure, cleaned & sanitized, put the airlock back in, had foamout an hour later, repeat, no further problems.

I can't remember when my last blowout was before that, but I endorse what "Revvy" said: these things are not that predictable.

i use a blowoff tube for EVERY primary and 1 out of 5 or 6 actually blows. Who cares? Just plan for the worst and hope for the best. In the end you will get beer!

i use a blowoff tube for EVERY primary and 1 out of 5 or 6 actually blows. Who cares? Just plan for the worst and hope for the best. In the end you will get beer!

^ This

I do fairly tightly controlled primaries, but I still always use 1" ID blowoffs. Right now I have two 5.25g 60 point batches - one using US-05, the other S04 - two days in, and at 65°F (measured via an insulated probe strapped to the middle of the 6.5g carboys) they're both still pretty darn close to pushing foam down the tubes.

I've never run a primary with just a lock. I try not to tempt fate...

Cheers!

I only had a blow off one time, I think in 2006, with any yeast strain because I have enough headspace in the fermenter. The temperature doesn't matter in that regard.

But I really love the taste of S05 at 66 degrees so I chose 66 degrees for that reason.

Under 64 degrees, it gets a "peachy" flavor to it that I don't like. Above 72, it gets estery. 66-68 is the "sweet spot" for that yeast strain.

I don't see the need for two threads for this, so they are combined into one.

I just pitched some yeast into a new batch last night. US05 stuff... avg temp is mid 70's in my house. Never had blow off. Just kegged a batch the same night that fermented in the high 70's the entire time. No off flavors noticed.

Under 64 degrees, it gets a "peachy" flavor to it that I don't like.

Interesting. I've picked up that flavor in some session beers I've made using 05, more than likely fermented at the temp. I thought maybe it was prevelent in the yeast no matter what and higher grav beers tended to mask it for some reason. I guess I need to bump it up a bit when using this strain.

Back